PDA

View Full Version : Choosing my first Clown Fish

paulj48
06/11/2004, 02:17 AM
I'm about to buy my first 'real' fish, a common clown fish :)

I'm going to buy a pair to live without an anemone, should I buy 2 very young fish or 2 where one is slightly larger than the other?

Also they will be going into a tank with 3 damsels, will this pose a problem for the clowns? I am prepared to take the damsels back to the LFS if needed (and I can catch them!)

The tank is 8 weeks old.

tanker
06/11/2004, 03:06 AM
You can always ask in the clown forum, but IMO-always best to get young fish and let them grow together.

Damsels may make life miserable for any fish after they get established.

luceneck
06/11/2004, 05:32 AM
Damsels will most likely cause some trouble in there, but you could try it out. I would take them back unless you are attached to them.

Clowns:
Does your LFS where you purchase your clowns have a tank full of clowns or a clown or two in each tank. If I were you I would get two clowns from a tank with more than one clown in it. If you were to purchase a two clowns from a community tank you will have an easier time. You could spend a few minutes watching the community tank and if you see a clown larger then the other then you know it is the female. To pair her up watch for her to charge at another, the clown that twitches or shakes will make an easier mate. That submissive dance is a good sign that those two could have something going for them!!!

Ramble On Rose
06/11/2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by luceneck
Clowns:
Does your LFS where you purchase your clowns have a tank full of clowns or a clown or two in each tank. If I were you I would get two clowns from a tank with more than one clown in it. If you were to purchase a two clowns from a community tank you will have an easier time. You could spend a few minutes watching the community tank and if you see a clown larger then the other then you know it is the female. To pair her up watch for her to charge at another, the clown that twitches or shakes will make an easier mate. That submissive dance is a good sign that those two could have something going for them!!!

:eek2: kinky little fish..... lol