PDA

View Full Version : Another magnesium question

obed2010
06/10/2004, 03:36 PM
Hi Randy,

I have a question about adding Mg on a daily basis. I have used the DIY 2-part since your article posted with great results. I know you can't add the magnesium solution to part 1 or 2, but would daily addition of magnesium to the tank balance the sodium and chloride ions and keep them from rising? It seems to me that a reef tank would benefit from daily additions instead of letting magnesium deplete for one or two months. I figured from your article, that you add 610ml Mg/ 3785ml Ca/Alk, so that would be ~1ml Mg/ 6ml Ca/Alk daily. In my case, I add 15 ml each Ca/Alk, which would mean adding 2.5ml Mg solution daily. Please let me know if this would be right or cause any problems.

Thanks for your great articles,
Matt

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/10/2004, 05:13 PM
Adding it more frequently is certainly a fine thing to do (with no negatives at all), although I doubt it makes an important difference in most aquaria. The smaller the tank, the more benefit in not waiting until a whole gallon of additive has been used.

I was just trying to make it a little easier to use, and to not have to call it a 3 part system. :D

obed2010
06/10/2004, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I have never tested for or added magnesium until two days ago. As a test (I couldn't wait to try the 3rd part), I added 5ml magnesium solution. My corals have never had such intense colors or polyp extension. Would the addition of magnesium cause this? I also changed my carbon the same day. As a reef newbie, I wanted a thumbs up on 1ml Mg/6ml Ca/Alk. I just don't want to cause harm. Of course, now that I will be adding Mg, I will begin testing.

From now on I'll call it the Randy Holmes-Farley 3-Part:D So far, your articles have solved my Ca/Alk problems, got me to use kalk for top-off and calibrate my ancient hydrometer (it reads .002high). A big thanks from East Tennessee. Keep 'em coming.

Matt

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/10/2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks, Matt, I'm glad that you found the articles useful. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't have expected the corals to react like that to magnesium, so maybe it is the carbon (or something in the Epsom Salts).

Good luck!