PDA

View Full Version : Low alk?

wharfrat48
06/10/2004, 08:32 AM
I have a 75g/29g sump that has finished it cycle for over a month. Only a clean-up crew and hitchhikers so far. My alk has been low since I started the tank. I use Oceanic salt and all parameters are good (pH 8.2). When I started the tank the alk started at 3 meq/L (Ca 475). I have been adding part B (20ml) of the Kent 2 part Ca/Alk supplement on and off for a while and have only got the Alk to between 3.5 and 4 (Ca 425). I am doing weekly 10% H20 changes with RO/DI. I am wondering how much increase in Alk I should be expecting from a daily dose of the Kent Part B (how many days should it take to raise the Alk from 3.5-4?) Should I just keep dosing until I hit 4 kdh? Should I try baking soda as Dr. Randy's article suggests? Am I worring about nothing?

Thanks

Rich

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/10/2004, 10:37 AM
FWIW, I recommend that folks maintain alkalinity at 2.5-4 meq/L, so I don't see a need to change the routine, except that I'd begin to add the calcium part as well..

Remember, as you add these additives, the tank is also using them. So one cannot say how much will be required over time to attain any particular goal.

If you do want to raise the alkalinity more, then here's what I would do:

If calcium is presently 425 ppm, and alkalinity is 3.5 meq/L then I'd dose 30 mL of both parts each day and see what that accomplishes after a few days.