PDA

View Full Version : quikret play sand

chrali
06/09/2004, 10:04 PM
with everyones advice i have decided to use ro instead of tap water. i feel very comfortable spending the extra money on this. i am still trying to save as much as possible while still being succesfull. I have my tank filled with quikrete playsand now and as soon as i get my ro i will fill up with water. I am still a little hesitant to go ahead with this sand. many have said my only problem will be an initial diatom outbreak. i just dont want to kill anything or ruin any live rock. any advice would be great.
Thanks!

dynamixone
06/09/2004, 11:37 PM
everyone seems to go towards southdown. I woudl be interested to find out how the quikrete goes!

DonJasper
06/11/2004, 08:03 PM
I've use it. And will continue to use it for my new tank.

chrali
06/11/2004, 10:35 PM
alot of people have had good luck with it. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you.
If i do go ahead with this sand do i have to rinse it out first even though they say its been washed? i put some in a glass and filled it with water and it stayed pretty cloudy for a while.

rshimek
06/12/2004, 10:14 AM
Hi Chris,

I have no personal experience with this sand, neither have I seen an analysis of the sediment sizes. The fine sediments are quite beneficial in providing a bacterial substrate and personally I wouldn't rinse it. If the cloudiness doesn't clear in a day or so, simply filter the tank water for a bit to clear it up.

chrali
06/12/2004, 10:00 PM
Thank you for the suggestion Dr. Ron.