PDA

View Full Version : Stray Voltage...What should I be looking for?

Kaiser Tang
06/09/2004, 08:16 PM
I have yellow tang that is developing a case of lateral line disease. I know that one of the culprits of this disease is stray voltage. I'm not sure if this is the cause or not. I have a grounding probe in operation. Even with the grounding probe, the tang developed this disease. So, either my grounding probe is not working or something else is causing the erosion. Anyway, I want to rule out stray voltage, but I don't know what to be looking for. I have a voltage meter. What setting should I use? AC? DC? Volts? Amps? I know that there will be some voltage even with a grounding probe. What is a reasonable amount? I'm not too bright when it comes to electricity. Any help would be appreciated.

need4reef
06/09/2004, 08:40 PM
i just went and metered my tank for you.

i also have a grounding probe.

I metered about .9V or 900mV in the AC setting. I metered from positive lead in the water to negative lead on earth ground. that reading seemed to slowly taper off from 900mV. no detectable V in the DC setting.

my fish have no problems...

good question. hope that helps!

Kaiser Tang
06/09/2004, 11:07 PM
^

asmujica
06/09/2004, 11:57 PM
It could also be due to malnutrition. What are you feeding it?

Do you have a GFCI installed?

Kaiser Tang
06/11/2004, 07:41 PM
I've been feeding frozen spirullina enriched brine shrimp soaked in garlic and nori. I've recently started soaking the food in zoo as well. No, no GFCI yet. I've bought them but haven't installed them yet.