PDA

View Full Version : Baby Banded Cat Shark

phishfob
06/09/2004, 04:56 PM
I just had a baby Banded Cat Shark egg hatch for me and I'm having some trouble feeding it. I've read somewhere to force feed it with a syringe. But wanted to see if anyone has had success with feeding a baby? I've tried to feed it ghost shrimp and squid.

EdKruzel
06/09/2004, 05:48 PM
They will often take awhile to begin eating after hatching. Does it still have the egg sac attached?

I have seen tham take more than a week to two before becoming even slightly interested in foods.

Chopped clam bits works well with baby sharks.

Ed

phishfob
06/09/2004, 05:58 PM
Ed,

The baby has fully detached from the egg. I have been putting small peices of cleaned squid in the tank just before bed time (mine). For good measure, I have also thrown in a ghost shrimp which I feel is the catsharks new friend.

The shark hatched about 3 days ago so, I won't worry too much about it eating for a few more days. I'll definately try the clams next.

Thank you.

mattiej
06/09/2004, 06:49 PM
phishbob, it is common for the yolk sac to be pulled into the alimentary canal just before hatching. I would give the little guy at least a week before attempting to feed. When he's ready to eat he should start roaming the tank looking for food. The chopped clam is a good idea and you can also chop the squid, not too fine but small enough for him to ingest it. Good luck and keep us posted.

EdKruzel
06/09/2004, 06:57 PM
I was referring to the umbilical cord and egg sac that is attached to the abdomen.

This will continue to feed the shark as long as it is present.
The baby will not begin to take food until it separates from the body.

Ed

JDM130
06/09/2004, 07:19 PM
Ed is right on the money. Give it at least a week before it starts eating, squid, and clams are the best foods to get it started. After that it's easy, as soon as they smell food they are out and about and will excepts just about anything that comes across their nose.

HTH.........Jeff

phishfob
06/09/2004, 07:39 PM
That is good news. I have searched the web for some articles on this matter but most of them are geared towards pre-hatching or matured catshark maintenace. Although these will be helpfull later, not so now.

Thanks for your time guys, this has been helpful.