PDA

View Full Version : Firefish and DSB

KT & SJ
06/09/2004, 02:26 PM
Hello again, youre info in the past has helped greatly. I'm putting together a fish list and was wondering if a firefish would not be a good candidate for my 125 g. reef tank. I'm unsure if this fish would destroy my 6". In your opinion, should this fish be added or should it go on my FO tank list? Thanks again, Shauna

rshimek
06/09/2004, 04:39 PM
Hi,

Firefish are great fish. Their one major drawback is that they like to try to fly. They need a covered tank.

KT & SJ
06/09/2004, 05:07 PM
Wow, thanks for such a quick reply. Firefish it is then, I have the lid for the tank so flying shouldn't be a problem. One question I forgot to ask was is there such a thing as a DSB that is too deep? Right know the reef tank has about 6" or 7" in it. It is a 125 g. tank.

rshimek
06/12/2004, 08:41 AM
Hi,

That depth will work fine. The key is to make sure you have 1) the right particle size distribution, and 2) lots of animals living in it. :D

KT & SJ
06/12/2004, 12:27 PM
Good to hear Dr. Ron. I went off of your sediment particle size distribution picture and I think I came pretty close. I had to go off hte picture because the bags my husband purchased had no mm size. It is carib sea aragonite seafloor special reef sand. I told him about the possible problem with aragonite, I guess he just didn't understand. I went out and bought oolitic sand to help create the right particle size mixture. Have you herd of the carib sea aragonite sand I mentioned above? If so, do you think its particle size is right for a DSB? We then seeded our DSB with 7 different reputable live sand sources and I can see worm like critters every where as well as pods from the new LR we just added. In the 50 g. sump/fuge we placed a 5-6" oolitic DSB and some macro algae. So far every thing is testing and looking good. Are we still on the right track? Thanks again for all of your help, Shauna

rshimek
06/12/2004, 02:49 PM
Hi,

My guess would be that your sand bed particle sizes will work fine, but they are probably a bit coarser than would be optimal. This is not a big deal.

The key now will be to feed your system well in order to keep everybody in good condition.

Good luck!

romunov
06/13/2004, 04:25 AM
Some chaps tend to turn red when I mention that DSB needs to be fed! :D