PDA

View Full Version : pH meter and Kalk mixing question

eppersonm16
06/08/2004, 11:47 PM
After reading a lot of your great info on using Kalkwasser I have decided to try it on my 100gal reef. However, I still had a couple of questions. The first is on mixing the Kalkwasser. I was going to mix it directly in my water top-off container which is connected to a Kent Marine float valve, but should I just start off using 1 teaspoon per gallon of fresh water? Also, I read the article on using vinegar to spike the limewater and it referred to a saturated solution of limewater and I was wondering how much Kalkwasser you need to add for it to be considered saturated. Lastly, I wanted to know if you could tell me where I could get a decent pH meter in order to keep an eye on my system now that I will be using Kalkwasser. I did see a pinpoint pH monitor for about $95. I really appreciate all the good information you supply.
Thank you,
Michael

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/09/2004, 05:47 AM
but should I just start off using 1 teaspoon per gallon of fresh water?

That's a reasonable starting point, yes.

Also, I read the article on using vinegar to spike the limewater and it referred to a saturated solution of limewater and I was wondering how much Kalkwasser you need to add for it to be considered saturated.

Without any vinegar, saturation is about 2 teaspoons per gallon. With vinegar, the saturation level goes up somewhat.

The Pinpoint meters are good for this purpose. The only thing to watch for with them is interference from certain aquarium lights and other systems that sometimes necessitate using it via battery (American Marine, makers of Pinpoint, are working on filters, and may have incorporated them by now). I don't have a particular brand that I think would be better.