PDA

View Full Version : Changing activated carbon in sump

Froggy
06/08/2004, 12:07 PM
Hello, I was wondering if some corals, SPS in particular, can be shocked by changing a sock full of carbon all at once located in the sump of a 75 gallon SPS,LPS reef. I usually use approximately 3/4 cup of Black Diamond activated carbon and usually only change it every few months. I was wondering if changing the carbon monthy would be better, and if it is, should I change only half of the carbon at a time or would changing all of it and replacing it with 3/4 cup of new carbon? Can and does this have a negative impact on the chemistry of my tank ?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/08/2004, 12:14 PM
While folks have discussed such shocks before, it is usually in the context of adding carbon for the first time, and then using it agressively (like in a pumped reactor). I think it unlikely that they water has become yellow enough to cause a shock in a situation like yours. Does the water become visibly yellow between changes?

Froggy
06/08/2004, 12:26 PM
No, my water does not visibly change or yellow at all between my current schedule of changing the carbon. I have been running the carbon passively in the sump 24/7 since the beginning 3 years ago. I have been adding more and more SPS to my reef over the last few months and was worried about shocking them by changing all of the carbon at once.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/08/2004, 12:27 PM
I think that plan is fine. :)

Froggy
06/08/2004, 12:28 PM
Ok, thank you very much for the quick help and peace of mind !

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/08/2004, 12:34 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)