PDA

View Full Version : Hippo Tang in 50g

newsalt
06/08/2004, 06:53 AM
Anyone out there ever have a Hippo tang in a 50g (36x18x18). If so, how did it do, how large did it get?

VolitanLioness
06/08/2004, 07:28 AM
Anyone out there ever have a Hippo tang in a 50g (36x18x18)
These fish get large as I am sure you already know.
These fish are not meant to be in 50 Gal. Tanks, as I am sure you already know.

Why do I think you already know?

If so, how did it do, how large did it get?
Because of this statment!!!!

It's growth can be stunted which is not healthy for this fish, as I am sure you already know.

Kaye

Neowind
06/08/2004, 07:45 AM
They need a larger tank than that. Although there is a person on this board that keeps one in a 10g cube and has had it for a while. Its the size of a quarter though. But they ussually need a 90+ gallon.

saltywater180
06/08/2004, 10:09 AM
I would say you need a 6' tank min for any tang, the smaller tank will stress your fish and they will not grow very well. JMO

Elorian
06/08/2004, 12:35 PM
I defintiely agree that 50 gal is way too small for a hippo tang. I had one in a 55 (rookie mistake) for a little over a year. He grew increasingly unhappy, so I found a better home for him in a 125 (well, the LFS was able to find the home for him). I wouldn't keep one again unless I had at least a 6' and preferably an 8' tank.

HTH

SOREVIV476
06/08/2004, 12:46 PM
i have one ina 30gln it is small and doing well i plan on getting a bigger tank soon but for now he is doing really good he is small like a half dollor size and eats like a pig

peacetypes6
06/08/2004, 01:01 PM
id say get one, but realize you prolly have to get around a 125 or 150 in a year or so for it to grow and for it to be happy/healthy

Robert

jiminy_crime
06/08/2004, 01:02 PM
I keep a hippo in my 55 and have done this for over a 1yr and a half. Was a baby when I had him and has grown about a half of an inch making him about 4 inches long.

I guess my take on this which will probably be condemned but I don't feel a 55 is unreasonable until you see unusual behavior by the fish showing signs of stress from being placed in a smaller box.

Agreed I don't feel a 10gal suits this type of fish or many for that matter but in a 55, come on. Any pet you place in a container that is not a natural home is called a pet. If you are abusing that pet by not watching its behavior and allowing it to out grow the tank then I agree it is wrong. But it isn't unreasonable, especially for a juvenile hippo.

Give it a try.

Diehl
06/08/2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by jiminy_crime
I keep a hippo in my 55 and have done this for over a 1yr and a half. Was a baby when I had him and has grown about a half of an inch making him about 4 inches long.

I guess my take on this which will probably be condemned but I don't feel a 55 is unreasonable until you see unusual behavior by the fish showing signs of stress from being placed in a smaller box.

Agreed I don't feel a 10gal suits this type of fish or many for that matter but in a 55, come on. Any pet you place in a container that is not a natural home is called a pet. If you are abusing that pet by not watching its behavior and allowing it to out grow the tank then I agree it is wrong. But it isn't unreasonable, especially for a juvenile hippo.

Give it a try.

I agree;) I have a 3" YT in my 90gal. and its only getting bigger and bigger. When you suggest keeping all tangs in a 6ft. or larger tank really makes me wonder if you really know that or your going on what others say. If you want to get technical no size tank will be large enough compared to where that tang came from. So if your tang is growing and healthy a 55 gal. will be fine till it gets to large IMO;)

SOREVIV476
06/08/2004, 01:43 PM
i agree with Diehl
some people light you up on this forum for keeping a tang in a smaller tank but like Diehl if you want to get technical none of should keep fish in that case

VolitanLioness
06/08/2004, 02:20 PM
newsalt As you can see you will get all kinds of opinions about this fish, do as much research on your own and than you decide.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm
Also use the search button at the top of the page.

This fish is a fast swimmer & a fast grower it gets large, just because someone shoves it in a small tank and stunts the growth for their own pleasure does not make it right....IMO

IMO this fish should have grown alot more than 1/2" in a year and a half.

Tangs in a small tank is one topic that will go on and on!!! Any fish that gets large in a small tank will go on & on!! I think it is discussed on a daily basis in here.

Kaye

cycler
06/08/2004, 02:51 PM
newsalt;there is a different approch.I love the color of this tang.As it gets big and really starts to eat like a pig,I trade it in for a baby.My tangs have a smogeseborg of 10 var of maco algies,in the display tank.a large one would eat too much algaes.I would put the colors and shapes ,of my ageas against a pure coral display anyday! This way you get both.

K9
06/08/2004, 03:53 PM
Hippos reach up to a foot in length, so you definitely don't want a 12" long fish in a 36" long tank. I wouldn't even let the decision to buy one hinge on the hopes that you'll have a bigger tank in a year, two years, whatever. You don't know what the future holds and can't be positive you'll be able to get that bigger tank when the tang grows larger.

newsalt
06/08/2004, 04:09 PM
I've read so many different things about the ultimate size of the Hippo Tang. The sizes range from 6" to 12". Quite honestly, I know of two LFS that have Hippo's in smaller tanks. One is in a 48g and one is probably a 30g. The Hippo's in those two tanks are probably 3" long and seem quite content. Being new to this hobby, my opinion might not matter much, but I think if this fish does in fact reach 12" in a home aquarium, none of us, even those with 125g tanks should be keeping it. Pick up a 12" ruler and look at it; 12" is huge! Here's a for instance, I have a Coral Beauty in my 15g high. Books indicate that this fish will grow to 4". Because of this, I was reluctant to buy it. I'm glad I did. It's a great fish. I bought it 6 months ago at 2" and I don't think it's grown a 1/2". It eats well, grazes and seems fine. Bottom line is I don't know what I'm gonna do. Maybe I'll give the hippo a try in the 50g, maybe not. However, I value all the opinions given to me, both pro and con.

K9
06/08/2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by newsalt
However, I value all the opinions given to me, both pro and con. This is a great attitude to have. I wish a lot more beginners and veterans alike would take this view. Open-mindedness is definitely a valuable quality to have in this hobby. Kudos for being willing to listen to other's opinions even if you don't like them :thumbsup:.

BryanJ
06/08/2004, 09:34 PM
I agree with the 50 being to small. One of the popular books states a tang requires at least a 4 ft tank, bigger the better. I have a friend with a 125 it has a Sohal and a Blenny in it. The Sohal is another fish that is supposed to be a foot long in the tank. The fish has been in the tank for 3 years and is only 7 or 8 inches long plump and healthy. So I don't buy this whole 6ft theory. However, people with 300 gallon or larger tanks seem to be reporting the 12 inches in length for hippos and sohals. So it is my belief that total gallons is the most important factor and 300 gallons seems to be the magic number for tangs to reach maximum size in the home aquarium.

We all can't support 300 gallon tanks So it is my opinion 90 gallons and above for a single tang to be happy. With a variety of seaweed selects filling his belly.

foxstop
06/08/2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by saltywater180
I would say you need a 6' tank min for any tang, the smaller tank will stress your fish and they will not grow very well. JMO

I would agree with this for the Hippo, Sohal, and Naso type tangs as well as many others, but I have to say that I think the one Yellow Tang I have in my 120G Reef is happy and growing.
I also thing that the depth and width of my 120g is particualry suited for this fish. JMHO. Saying you need a 6ft tank for any tang is a bit too much of a blanket statement for me.
I do agree though the larger the tank the better.

Brian

newsalt
06/09/2004, 08:22 AM
I shouldn't have gone to my LFS last night. He just got in about 9 baby Hippo's. They were about the size of a quater, maybe a little bigger. He wanted $29.99 ea. for them. My wallet was burning in my pocket.

Scuba_Dave
06/09/2004, 08:31 AM
I waited thru 3 tanks & 1.5 years before my 6' 125 was setup to buy a dime sized hippo. They grow very fast, need swimming room, and a 3' tank is small. I see lots of people buy a fish & then a year later they are trying to get rid of it because it is now too big.
Of course I also see people getting rid of a fish because they didnt research the fish 1st. You can have tang in a smaller tank & it may be happy...I'm not a "fishphsycologist", so don't truly know. But I based my decision to wait on what I read here on RC, and others experience

newsalt
06/09/2004, 08:52 AM
Doing more research on this topic and came across this:

http://www22.brinkster.com/seafan/fish/fr012hippotang/hippotang.html

The interesting part is the "maximum size this fish could grow in home aquarium"

Take a look at it.

Flanders
06/09/2004, 09:06 AM
newsalt;there is a different approch.I love the color of this tang.As it gets big and really starts to eat like a pig,I trade it in for a baby.

:( Some people just don't get it.

Scuba_Dave
06/09/2004, 09:14 AM
Same type of person who gets rid of a kitten when it gets too big I guess, then just go get another kitten :mad2:

SOREVIV476
06/09/2004, 09:39 AM
man 29.99 for a quarter sized tang ... thats alot i can get them for 14.00 for that size ...