PDA

View Full Version : Planaria - what can I do?

Chip Douglas
06/08/2004, 03:28 AM
I currently have a 30 gallon zoanthid tank that is very healthy as far as I can tell, and almost 2 years old. The tank only houses my yellow-stripe maroon, a pair of peppermint shrimp, 15-20 Nassarius snails, a tiger tail cucumber, and 3-4 turbo/astrea snails. Three maxi-jets, one of which is attached to an osci-wave, provide flow and a modded bak-pak skimmer provides additional filtration.

The tank is strictly a Zoanthid tank and while performing a montly water change this past Sunday, a friend that was over noticed several small colonies of Planaria on the left side of the tank only. This leads me to believe they came in on a colony of Zoanthids I purchased that was placed on that side of the tank, because both sides seem to get equal flow which would elminate a dead spot for them to gather in.

I understand that they are mostly a problem aesthetically, unless they being to multiply into 'plague' proportions, but just the same I don't want them around. I don't want to use any chemicals (i.e. flatworm exit) to treat it, I'd rather do it 'naturally' with a fish of some sort. I would try a Velvet Nudibranch but I don't believe I want to chance that risk that's involved.

What can you recommend I do to take care of this? Thanks for your time.

-Chris

ReefGeekster
06/08/2004, 03:54 AM
Do a search on a product "Flatworm Exit" Got rid of all mine without any adverse effect(s), though again research it and see if it's right for you.

romunov
06/08/2004, 10:31 AM
Use a key word 'planaria' to search this forum. Make sure you get your facts straight before dosing flatworm exit.

Chip Douglas
06/08/2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by romunov
Use a key word 'planaria' to search this forum. Make sure you get your facts straight before dosing flatworm exit.

I stated in the post that I do not want to use Flatworm Exit. I am looking for something to naturally remove them (i.e. fish).

DensityMan
06/08/2004, 02:39 PM
Yellow/Banana Coris Wrasse (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2970364#post2970364)

Just one example of the many threads in here... search for "planaria" in this forum for many more opinions and factoids. ;)