PDA

View Full Version : Something that took over my rock and is killing my coraline

shy07guy
06/08/2004, 12:55 AM
I posted this in one of the general forums and no one could come up with any ideas so I was directed here. It started on the 4th of June as connected white strings that were on a rock in the front of my tank. I was not worried at first but I noticed the coraline around them was turning that bright pink it gets when it has been damaged. That night I tested the tank and also did a water change sucking off as much of the white stuff as I could. The next day the white stuff did not return but the coraline that had been close to the stringy stuff was completely bleached. I then noticed that on the left wall of the tank there was a 5" diameter circle that was bleaching as well and a 8 -10" patch on the back wall. Since the 4th I have not seen the white strings come back but the coraline has continued to bleach although not at such an alarming rate. My tests came back perfectly ok except for alk which was at 7.2 just a little low but I did not think it was enough of concern. Someone also thought it might be a type of worm that emmits a white string to catch its food. I have those in my tank but this white stringy thing was a little different and there was way more of the stringy stuff then what the normal worm puts out. I will attatch some pics that I took over the few days and also give you the link to my other post just incase. If there is anything else I can provide to help you please let me know. Thanks so much
Derek

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=382449

shy07guy
06/08/2004, 12:55 AM
A pic under normal lighting

shy07guy
06/08/2004, 12:56 AM
Here is the rock at the end of the day

shy07guy
06/08/2004, 12:57 AM
Here is the left wall of the tank that was bleaching

shy07guy
06/08/2004, 12:57 AM
and finally the big spot on the back wall

jdieck
06/08/2004, 01:08 AM
Did you rearanged any rock or disturbed anything in your tank prior to the incident?

I want to tag along as I had a similar thing show up this morning after yesterday I moved some rock around. I have hundreds of micro vermid snails tubes about 1 to 2 mm in dia. The impression I got is that moving the rcok I smashed some of them and the strigy think is the kind of slime I get when a snail had died on me in the past and stays in the tank for a while.
I sucked the stuf this morning and so far no simphtoms of coraline bleaching (although I had bleaching of the coralline when I switched my MH from 175W to 400 W.)

shy07guy
06/08/2004, 11:23 AM
Yeah no changes in the tank really did my 3 gal water change a day or 2 before but that was nothing new for the tank as I do one every week. So I am still stumped.

rshimek
06/09/2004, 11:42 AM
Hi Derek,

None of the images are coming through for me. Could you post them again in another thread?. Thanks.