PDA

View Full Version : Random newbie reefer questions...

DrStrangeLove
06/07/2004, 09:22 PM
I have had a 120 gal FOWLR tank for many years now and since I just moved back to the East Coast...I have decided to set up a reef tank instead.

The tank has been going strong for about a month now thanks to the great TBS rock I got. Anyway...since I had a FO sytem before I am really only familiar with the "standard" tests such as PH, Ammonia, 'ates and 'ites. However, since I am now trying my hand at reefing I bought every test kit known to man.

It is these other tests that I have questions about...

Question #1: [Dissolved O2]
My Dissolved O2 is 6.0 and according to the test instructions (Seatest) based on temperature and salinity it should be around 6.8. Is this close enough or do I have to do something about it?

Question #2:[Calcium and alkalinity]
I finally tested for calcium and alkalinity and got the following results:
Calcium was 300mg/l (should be in the 400-450mg/l range)
Alkalinity was 7.0 meq/l (should be in the 2.5 to 5.0 range)
I have been using Kent Marine Superbuffer-dKH to raise the PH to 8.2 over the last few days. I would like to raise the calcium level without raising the alkalinity. If I add just the calcium component of the B-Ionic Calcium Buffer system will the alkalinity be affected? I figure they must be interrelated somehow.

Anyway...sorry about the confusing newbie questions but I got frustrated reading the little instruction booklets.

Any help would be appreciated...A.J.

Boomer
06/07/2004, 10:08 PM
It is more than likely that 6. You can't get 6.8 except under very special conditions. Most reef tanks are not 100 % saturated and that is what that 6.8 is. Be happy with 6 :D Here is a seawater calculator to make things more accurate and easy for you

http://www.aquanic.org/images/tools/oxygen.htm

Seatest ?? There is no Seatest O2 kit by Aquarium Systems. You must mean the Red Sea O2 Kit ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/08/2004, 06:06 AM
I wouldn't worry about dissolved oxygen. I've never measured it, myself. :D

To raise the calcium and reduce the alkalinity, you need to add a calcium only supplement such as calcium chloride or the calcium part of the B-ionic, as you mention. It will take a lot!

This article should help guide you through that process:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

and this general one should help you sort everything out:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters (a summary general article)
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

DrStrangeLove
06/08/2004, 08:03 AM
Boomer & Randy:

Thanks...your help is appreciated.

Randy...any clue on how much of the B-Ionic Calcium supplement I will have to add to get it to respectable levels (from 300 mg/l to ~425 mg/l) for a 120 gal (w/ 30gal sump) tank?

The diretions told me to add 1ml per 4gal per day, which comes to around 40mL per day. When i added it it seemed like a ridiculously small amount compared to the size of the tank. However, i have no idea how strong it is. I just don't want to take 10 months getting the calcium where i want it.

Boomer...you are right, the O2 kit is Red Sea.

Thanks again :beer: ....A.J.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/08/2004, 08:33 AM
Sure.

B-ionic is 54,000 ppm in clacium.

So to raise calcium by 54 ppm, you need to add 1/1000th of he system volume.

In your case, you need to raise calcium by 125 ppm in about 120 gallons.

So you need to add about 0.28 gallons, or 1.1 liters!

You can add that all in one day. Just add it to a high flow area of the sump, and spread it out over a few additions in the day.

Calcium chloride would be a cheaper way to go.