PDA

View Full Version : Alveopora feeding mechanism

oncorhynchus
06/07/2004, 06:11 PM
I recently purchased an Alveopora sp. that is looking very healthy (only 1.5 months in my tank). In the last week or so I have noticed several fine threads ~ 5 - 6 in long that appear to originate in the oral disk area of the polyps receiving most light. Each thread has a large number of shorter threads (~ 0.5 in) attached at a right angle along its length. I haven't seen any retraction and don't know if the threads break off or are retreived by the coral at night. I presume this is a feeding mechanism of some type - possibly for bacterial or other tiny particles. Any information on this would be gratefully received.

John

oncorhynchus
06/07/2004, 08:10 PM
Just to update the first post - the polyps can actively extend and retract the 'thread'. Noticed this when a centropyge brushed against one. This thread was then re-extended and quickly retracted several times.

Anyone have any coment?

Thanks
John

EricHugo
06/08/2004, 06:25 AM
sessile ctenophore. Interesting associated critters with many corals....not harmful at all.

oncorhynchus
06/08/2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks Eric, I need to sharpen my powers of observation, couldn't clearly see the origin but assumed it was the Alveopora.

John