PDA

View Full Version : Plate Coral Growth or death?

god_of_wolves
06/07/2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks in advace to all for you replies.

I have a short tentacled plate coral (Fungia repanda) in a 75 gallon reef. All my levels are right within specs, including calcium, alk, strontium, lighting, and the usual stuff.

Nothing new has been done to the tank lately.

My plate coral has over the past few days started to look like it is bleaching out slowly. The Color is fading slightly, but the ridges are getting larger/taller???

Is this a sign of something going wrong, or is it merely in a growing stage? and color will ruturn when done growing.

It has been eating before this, but I have not fed it in a days.

Thanks again,
Scott.

god_of_wolves
06/08/2004, 11:04 AM
Here are actual stats in my tank if needed.

75 gallon AGA with 5 inch DSB, 2x250 Watt 10K MH's, and 2x55 watt PC actinic 03, 100 lbs live rock.

Tank is 1.5 years old.

Levels:
Salinity=35
PH=8.1-8.3
Temp=81.2
Calcium=400
ALK=2.5
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0

Coral has been in tank for three months. Plate coral is on the sand with nothing near it (alteast 10 inches).

The Plate coral is normally light brown in color with Flourescent green tentacles.

The tantacles have not changed color, they just don't seem to be fully extended anymore. The base is mostly tan now, but the ridges are getting taller every day(noticably), the bas is not getting any larger around though.

EricHugo
06/08/2004, 01:33 PM
They grow slowly, and I would probably raise the alkalinity some. However, I am not sure about the bleaching description or the ridge description. If there is no skeleton showing, probably fine. You might want to feed it - especially at night.

god_of_wolves
06/08/2004, 02:26 PM
Eric, thanks. I have been feeding, and it appears to have been eating.
There is no skeleton showing.

It almost looks like it's growing, and the new growth along the ridges has not developed color yet?????
I'll try to take a good pic tonight.

Also, what ALK level do you reccomend? I have been going of of RHF's reccomending levels.

Thanks again.
Scott.

masterswimmer
06/09/2004, 07:32 PM
Hi Scott,
I'm having similar problems with my Fungia Repanda. Bleaching, loosing color. However, the tentacles on mine are not extending nor does it seem to be growing. At night it used to inflate. Doesn't do that anymore.

What are you feeding yours?

I moved mine off the sandbed and up to the top thinking it wasn't getting enough light. I have T-5's.

Any help?

Russ

EricHugo
06/09/2004, 11:12 PM
Personally, I like 3.5 - 4.0 meq/l