PDA

View Full Version : Marine microbiology

corbyjames
06/07/2004, 12:32 PM
Dr. Ron,

Over the summer I'd like to work with my son (10) on learning about some of the microscopic animals in the sand beds, and tank. Can you recommend a good microscope and text to help facilitate identification. I don't mind spending some money on the scope because I want to get one that I can hook my digital 35mm up to and get some decent pictures. I've looked on Amazon for the text and found some stuff that was more focused on sub-cellular topics such as DNA, etc. and didn't seem like they would be good for creature ID.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Corby

romunov
06/08/2004, 02:02 AM
I think you will be way better off [for IDing] with a stereoscope. Olympus has some nice models - they use these at my college. Try Nikon as well. :)

corbyjames
06/08/2004, 10:30 AM
I've been looking at streoscopes with a third mount for the camera, but there are so many out there, its hard to tell what to get. I'll look at Olympus and Nikon.
Thanks.

rshimek
06/09/2004, 11:21 AM
Corby,

Do a search of this forum using "microscope" as your search key word. You should get a lot of hits and some will contain relevent information. If you can narrow your questions down a bit, I can give you some better information. :D