PDA

View Full Version : Tubastrea care: Have I got the right idea?

burntom
06/07/2004, 12:41 AM
Well, I've read as much as I can, including posts here and articles by Eric and I wanted to check that I've got the right idea.

Placement: Anyway with good current

Light requirements: None

Feeding (the tricky part): I target fed the polyps as far as I could after I got the colony back yesterday. Opened up quickly in full light, so I figure I was lucky in that regard. I fed frozen mysis shrimp, which was a bit tricky as there were some polyps that were rather less accessible.

Also, the polyps seem quite small compared to some of the pictures I've seen (maybe 50mm across or about 1/3 inch). The larger ones coped with the mysis, but it seemed a bit much for the smaller ones. Would baby brine shrimp be a good alternative for the smaller polyps?

I've seen two contradictory statements on whether food fed to one polyp can benefit the other polyps in the colony and wondered if an expert (Eric? Cakepro?) could let me know if this is the case (or do I have to feed each polyp without fail?).

Finally, I'm planning to feed every day when I can, but would like to know if variations in feeding are acceptable (say more than once a day on occasion, and when I'm away, once every two or three days).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tom

EricHugo
06/07/2004, 08:25 AM
You do not need to target feed the coral everyday, there is connection between polyps, and feed as often as you want so long as water quality remains high.

burntom
06/07/2004, 10:11 PM
Eric,

Many thanks! The feeding's a lot easier now I'm using the bottle feeding method recommended by several people. It's looking pretty good right now.

Tom

burntom
06/08/2004, 12:19 AM
Eric,

Also, an apology. As the main search engine was down, I just searched the coral forum and, as the search function isn't limited to posts within the last month, there were loads of threads covering this (and loads of your answers to the same questions, again and again).

Apologies for wasting your time. I have at least learnt a more effective way of looking for info!