PDA

View Full Version : Amquel/Seachem/etc. Nitrate Removing stuff

Kamko
06/06/2004, 10:32 PM
Hey I have a question: what is the chemical compostion of the stuff advertised by Amquel that removes nitrates/nitirtes/ammonia (and any other nitrate removing "magical" solution by Seachem, Prime, etc.)? On the bottle it says that it is reef safe (although it is not - from experience :mad: ) and my sponge turned into mush after adding it. I know that you can't precipitate out nitrate (can you?) so it must be full of enzymes and other catalysts, but what kind? Especially, what kind that would hurt a sponge? :confused:

Thank you for any replies.

Boomer
06/06/2004, 10:57 PM
You will find orginal Amquel here,along woith SeaChem Prime

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/index.htm

From what I have seen on the so called Amquel +, Nitrate, Nitrite removers, it does not remove them at all. It is that the test kit masks them, so they appear they are gone. And that is from the inventor of the orgianl Amquel, John F. Kuhns.

As far as Prime goes it says this

Prime™ is a complete conditioner for both marine and freshwater use that removes chlorine, chloramine, and detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. It also provides essential ions and stimulates natural slime coat. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concenration levels. Prime™ also enhances nitrate removal

It will remove chloamines but seems to leave behind sulfates, to a high degree more than Amquel. As far as detox. nitrites and enhancing Nitrates, I'm still waiting for them to explain that chemically magic. Kuhns does the best he can to explain his poduct and how it works, not the same for others:mad:. Kuhns has nothing to do with the new Kordon Amqeul +

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/07/2004, 07:17 AM
I wouldn't add anything to a marine aquarium to "detoxify" nitrite or nitrate as they are not very toxic anyway.

Kamko
06/07/2004, 09:26 AM
Ok thanks a lot!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/07/2004, 09:27 AM
You're welcome.

Happy reefing. :)