PDA

View Full Version : fuge lighting?

prodman
06/06/2004, 12:51 PM
Should I run the lights in the fuge at night when the tank lights are off. Or should they be on at the same time? I have a 65g tank and a 5g in sump fuge. Thanks Paul.

Zebo
06/06/2004, 01:48 PM
Personally i leave my fuge lights on day and night, helps grow more macro algae, havent seen any drawbacks.

jaden1
06/06/2004, 03:05 PM
If you are going to run them only part of each day, then night would be preferable. The reason is that photosynthesis will continue in your fuge when its not in your main tank. This is good on many levels but will help stabilize ph at night in your main tank, which is stressfull to all who reside there. The method is callled reverse daylight photosynthesis. Dr. Ron can explain in much more detail the benefits and any possible drawbacks this entails. I dont have my sump on my current tank, but ran a sump/fuge combo for years employing reverse daylight photosynthesis. I beleive it to be a real benefit IMO. Good luck

rshimek
06/09/2004, 10:33 AM
Hi,

It really doesn't matter what you do with regard to lights unless you want to grow algae in the refuge. If you do wish to grow algae, then you want at least a 12 hour on cycle; continuous light would be fine as well. Your refuge is so small relative to the main tank that any "balancing" of pH by a reverse lighting cycle is likely to be minimal.