PDA

View Full Version : Snails that will propagate in the tank?

StrongHandsMcGee
06/06/2004, 12:47 AM
Can you tell me any snails other than Strombus and Ceriths that will propagate in the tank easily?

naruto_kun
06/06/2004, 11:24 AM
Stometalla snails will. I can't remember the names of a couple others, but will post them once I remember.

-Steve

rshimek
06/09/2004, 10:28 AM
Hi,

Strombus will not reproduce in tanks easily. The small columbellids sold by IPSF- misidentified - as Strombus maculatus will reproduce well. One or more species of small trochoidean snails in the genus Collonista also seem to reproduce well. Other snails that reproduce, in at least some tanks, include: Peppermint snails, Hyalina, Stomatella, some larger Trochus (on occasion), a few species of small limpets, vermetids (tube-worm snails) of several types.

Additionally, several species of blood-sucking clam, snail, and tube worm parasites in the group known as the Pyramidellids reproduce very well in tanks.

Probably there are a few other species.

StrongHandsMcGee
06/09/2004, 02:21 PM
Ok, so I caught my Nerite snails mating and later laying eggs! Sweet. The Ceriths have laid eggs, too.

rshimek
06/09/2004, 04:37 PM
Hi,

Nerites will lay eggs. The larvae generally don't develop in our tanks, though.

StrongHandsMcGee
06/09/2004, 05:17 PM
I have no hermits, so my hopes are high!

FastFish720
06/09/2004, 05:59 PM
Hawaiian/Haitian Strombus snail should do well

bjolly
06/10/2004, 10:34 AM
my ceriths lay eggs everywhere. My starfish seems to enjoy eating them though, so I doubt I'll get any baby snails.

technoshaman
06/10/2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by rshimek
Hi,

Nerites will lay eggs. The larvae generally don't develop in our tanks, though.

Dr. Ron - I have a lot of nerites in my tanks that lay eggs constantly (look like sesame seeds attached to the glass). I definitely have had some type of snail reproducing in my tank that looks much like a nerite at least as far as the shell goes. I'll catch one and snap a few pics of the shell and operculum and see what you think.

I formerly had a harlequin tusk in my reef and since moving him to another tank my population of stomatellas and these mystery small ones have increased greatly.