PDA

View Full Version : mordish upside down. why

Chicago
06/05/2004, 11:13 PM
i have had this mordish idol for over a year now. all of a sudden he has been swimming upside down contantly now for a week. its like he wants to .. trapped air. ???

th funny thing is that he is good at it. he does not bump into rock coral ect. eating is not that good though and hewill eventually wither a way.

thouhgts please

Levi
06/06/2004, 12:04 AM
I had a fish that did this a long time ago, and it was something to do with a stomach problem, but I can't remember what it was exactly. It eventually healed on its own and was fine again.

Chicago
06/06/2004, 07:47 AM
i am thinking gas bubles in his system or he is prtectig himself from a desjardin tang that has grwon well over the past six moths and is now statig to get aggressive. preparing the traps today to get the quen angel out. might have to get himalso

goleafsgo
06/06/2004, 08:29 AM
man it let it go for a while and see if he gets better, it would be asham to take out that queen its beautiful

Chicago
06/06/2004, 08:50 AM
i have let it go. its been months. i am not getting rid of him. i have a large sump.. 300 gallon rubermaid with plently of rock ect. and lighting above. llook down ssystem you might say. i plan to place him in there and see how things go. i have the large dussemeri in there also untill i find him the proper large estate home.

thansk

Chicago
06/06/2004, 08:51 AM
the queen was not bothering him but was picking and nipping at teh corals. i think he was only nipping at the rtn corals i believe thus i need to remove him to see if the polyps start to come out

thansk again

Flame*Angel
06/06/2004, 09:28 AM
I'll bet it's a swim bladder problem. I'm no expert but do a search on swim bladder, I remember reading about some things that can be done to help fish with this condition under some circumstances.

I sure hope you can help the Idol, beautiful fish!

chicki
06/06/2004, 10:32 AM
Looks to me like a swim bladder problem. The swim bladder is a gasfilled organ that allows the fish to stay at certain depths. When it is damaged by bacteria, parasites, genetic faults or trauma he will lose his ability to swim in a upright position and will then swim sideways or upside down. Once this happens it's unlikely I'm sorry to say repair itself. Sometimes treating him in a hospital tank with antibiotics brings results. Sometimes they can still live for years with it??
Thats really a shame. Such a beauty.
I've had mine now for a year as well and just love him. Although I noticed one the other day at the LFS that was also plagued with this swim bladder problem?? wonder if it's something that these idols are somehow bothered by??

Chicago
06/06/2004, 04:52 PM
your thoughts are what i was thinking. althgouh i rember something about how to cure it.. will have to do search.