PDA

View Full Version : calcium?

sparkey65
06/05/2004, 10:39 PM
ok i have been reading all these articles on calcium and alk? and i was wondering actually what the differance was between calcium carbinate and calcium chloride? and how do they react towards each other and the reef tank?

JoeMack
06/06/2004, 01:50 AM
If someone is bored and can answer this one for me after sparkey65s question gets answered. Here is an OT question related to this one... Whats the difference between those and Calcium Carbide (I think thats the name)? I love it when it get wet! It gets your hand real hot when it gets wet (I have tested this personally) I gues it works how dowflake works? It also gives off a flamable gas which makes it the coolest. Anyway thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/06/2004, 09:08 AM
Calcium carbonate is Calcium, Ca++, and a carbonate ion, CO3--, together forming CaCO3. Limestone is calcium carbonate, and coral skeletons and aragonite sand are made of it. It will not dissolve much when added to reef aquaria.

Calcium chloride, CaCl2 is a calcium ion abd two chloride ions. It is very soluble in both fresh and salt water. It is a good way to boost calcium levels, if necessary.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/06/2004, 09:15 AM
Calcium carbide is a calcium and two carbon atoms: CaC2. On mixing with water you get acetylene gas (very flammable) and limewater. I'd be very careful with it.

sparkey65
06/07/2004, 08:19 PM
thank you again randy and i think i will stay away from the calcium carbide. lol

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/07/2004, 08:34 PM
You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)