PDA

View Full Version : Will adding live sand and LR to an builtin AGA overflow box improve anything?

dynamixone
06/04/2004, 11:23 PM
if lighted could it serve as a small refugium? or just make a mess!

skearse
06/05/2004, 08:00 AM
I don't think that I'd put sand in it, but adding small pieces of LR shouldn't hurt anything and would give you a great refuge to increase your pod population.

foxstop
06/05/2004, 07:41 PM
Wouldn't this also restrict the flow? Or are you planning on something else for your return lines and flow to your sump?

dynamixone
06/05/2004, 08:33 PM
i am going to have a durso standpipe on the drain, and using the AGA? kit i got with the tank on the return

seaham358
06/05/2004, 08:52 PM
drilled tank i would skip the overflow idea and go with a fuge under or next to the 55 some time down the road.
Pic of my fuge after I set it up almost a year ago. 20 gal tank . the tank upder it is my 10 gal FW...

dynamixone
06/05/2004, 08:56 PM
Nice!

I am trying to keep everything under my cabinet for now, limited with space. My sump is on the right so the drain runs smooth, so If i was to have a fuge it would have to be on the left side? any plumbing hints?

PVC or flexhose?

dynamixone
06/05/2004, 08:59 PM
How important is having a sponge/prefilter in the overflow?

It seems to catch alot in my FW tank.

Does the skimmer replace the need for it?

seaham358
06/05/2004, 09:11 PM
I have no filters on either of my tanks.... You can place a micron type filter in the sump, w/d to try and trap some waste. I don't have any major issues with particles in either of my tanks.
I was using micron in my reef to polish the water and it was more of a pain to keep clean then anything...... I throw some carbon in a mesh bag in the sump every once in a while.... Before a meeting I would throw a micron filter in to polish the water... get the tank water sparkling...
IN my reef the filters trap the pods which I want to cycle back into the reef. I would spend 20 min picking them off the pads and returning them to the tank.