PDA

View Full Version : Tank weight question

chappy121
06/02/2004, 07:39 PM
Any structural engineers out there????

I live on the 3rd floor of an old (1908) building. Currently I have a glass 72g reef with a 20g sump in the stand, but want to upgrade to a glass 120g (4x2x2) with a 20g+ sump. My worry is the weight of the larger tank and the structural capacity of the building. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Is it better to have the tank against the outside wall vs a wall in the middle of the bldg?

Thanks!

roricaja
06/02/2004, 07:48 PM
I have always placed large tanks perpendicular to the floor joists on anything off the first floor. That way each joist shares the load , not the length of one joist. So what ever wall would put your tank in that position is the one that I would choose. Think of a big couch with three really big fat aunts sitting on it.... for a long time.....too long....ahhhh

BigJim
06/03/2004, 12:08 PM
Keep this in mind, water weighs 8 lbs per gallon. So a 120 gallon tank weighs 960 lbs, this doesn't inlude however many lbs of live rock you add. You want to make sure you do place the tank perpendicular the the floor joists. It would be better to place the tank near the wall also. The floor is stronger near the wall. I know all of this b/c I teach math and I do construction during the summer when school is out. Hope this helps.:rollface:

chappy121
06/03/2004, 02:33 PM
thanks guys!

i didn't figure that there would be too much of an issue as long as i am perpendicular to the joists, but in an old house and in SF with earthquakes i am a bit nervous. and btw my 72g is against a wall, just an interior wall not an outside wall.

now all i have to figure out is who i can sign up to carry a 120g AGA up three flights of stairs. i thought my big screen tv was a nightmare. ;)

cheers