PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Little Giant 'Quarium Pump 4-MDQX-SC

Gigus
06/02/2004, 06:53 PM
I recently bought a Little Giant 'Quarium Pump 4-MDQX-SC and can not believe how noisy it is. I had one a couple of years ago in my crawl space under the house. However, the new one is located in my laundry room (new house) and I can hear the darn thing from every room of the house. It sounds like a 60hz hum and do not know if this is typical for this pump or if I should return it. If this is normal does anyone know of a quiet pump of the same capacity?

geo
06/02/2004, 07:02 PM
i have found the LG pumps to be a little loud.

imbuggin
06/02/2004, 07:13 PM
pull out the yellow cover and give it 2 drops of pump oil. It will make not as loud and run better.

mfinn
06/02/2004, 08:40 PM
I use those exact pumps and I do not get any noise from them at all.
Do what imbuuggin says and oil em. I use sewing machine oil or 3-in-one oil. If the pump doesn't quiet down, return it. If you can.

wwanthony
06/02/2004, 09:47 PM
I have 3 running without noise at all. They are under my stand in my dining room. One of the pumps has a little more back pressure than the others so it makes a little more noise.

Gary Majchrzak
06/02/2004, 09:50 PM
Is the base of the pump mounted on a sound/vibration deadening material?

Gigus
06/02/2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks I will try some oil. Another thing might be that I plumbed this pump with PVC instead of hose and may be acting like a tuning fork.

Gigus
06/03/2004, 10:29 AM
Well the oil did not do anything. I am going to try and run it disconnected from the PVC to see if that helps.

mfinn
06/03/2004, 06:08 PM
Also with using flexable hose between the sump and the pump and between pump and pvc going back to tank, try getting something soft under the pump. I use a soft rubber about 3/4" thick. Maybe a towel.

dave2184
06/03/2004, 06:34 PM
I run two of these on my 90. They made a little humming noise at first but after an oiling just the fan sound. I have a ton of gun oil on hand and it works great but just about any light weight oil will work sewing machine, 3 in 1, gun oil, air tool oil, etc. ect. I also ran short sections of vinyl tubeing between the pump and PVC on the intake and output. Both pumps sit on the carpet behind the stand as well.

This is before i added the cloosed loop pump but you get the idea.

http://www.x-factor.us/albums/album04/20GallonSump2.sized.jpg