PDA

View Full Version : Having Trouble getting Fish to Eat

jchillin
06/02/2004, 05:36 PM
On Sunday I bought 3 Blue Reef Chromis and 1 Yellow Watchman Goby. They are in a 10 gall Qt tank. When I went to check on them Monday morning one of the blue chromis had died. I was not too suprised because on Sunday I noticed he was breathing heavy after I put him in the Qt. I acclimated them for about 1 hour. They ate some flake flood on Sunday, but Monday when I feed them some mysis shrimp they did not touch it. I tried to feed them some flakes a little later, and there was no interest. They have not eaten since.

Below are my water parmaeter in my QT. I set the qt tank using 3/4 water from my main tank, and 2 sponge filters that have been sitting in the overflow for 2 months. I also have an airstone. I plan to do water change in the next couple days, but did not want to do one right away after setting up the tank

Salt 1.022
Amnonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 (this is wierd because the trate in my main tank is 0)
PH 8.2

Is there a correlation between the one fish dying and my other fish not eating?
Is there anything I can do to entice them to eat?

CaliforniaDreamer
06/02/2004, 05:43 PM
This is just a guess but it sounds like cyanide to me, my understanding is that many Cromis are collected using cyanide. As for the watchman I don't know.

racrumrine
06/02/2004, 07:18 PM
If they were wild caught, they might respond to live food (for example Baby Brine Shrimp).

Did you ask what they were eating before you bought them? Hopefully, the LFS can help you.

Best of luck,

Roy