PDA

View Full Version : Tomato vs Cinnamin

rdnyva
06/02/2004, 01:51 PM
I'd like to get 2 small clowns and hopefully raise a mated pair. Can you tell me the pros and cons of each before I make a decision.

Atticus
06/02/2004, 02:04 PM
Color variations are different, but that is about it. Both can be grownout quickly and both seem fairly easy to get breeding IMO.

ozadars
06/02/2004, 02:07 PM
Also both are very aggressive and get big. Btw, i think you can pair all tomato complex fish with each other.

Atticus
06/02/2004, 02:32 PM
They do get big, but I would not consider them overly agressive I have a pair or melanopus and a pair of frenatus that are the biggest whimps in my breeding system. If you are planning to breed your pair I suggest against mixing them. If you are not, then I say buy one of each if you want.

ozadars
06/02/2004, 02:59 PM
I have a single tomato clown and she is really aggressive towards me! I cant even put my hand into the water.
Do cross breeding cause the non-breeding babies? Because if im not wrong when a horse and donkey have a baby, the baby cant breed or when a dog and a wolf breeds after the fifth (might be wrong number) generation they cant have babies anymore.

bobbyp
06/02/2004, 03:48 PM
hey good point

Atticus
06/02/2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ozadars
I have a single tomato clown and she is really aggressive towards me! I cant even put my hand into the water.
Do cross breeding cause the non-breeding babies? Because if im not wrong when a horse and donkey have a baby, the baby cant breed or when a dog and a wolf breeds after the fifth (might be wrong number) generation they cant have babies anymore.

They are actually more like guppies except they take 2 years before you can breed the offspring...:rolleyes: Crossbreeding clowns is debatable right now, but it seems that cross bred species pick up a bit of each parent in the offspring as would be expected. Now if you continuosly inbreed offspring you will get sterile individuals, but usually the deformities get so bad that they are undesirable anyway before the become sterile. A good example of this is captive breeding of black ocellaris clowns. Wild caught specimens are so hard to come by that breeders have been forced to inbreed their pairs and the resultant offspring show a high rate of facial and gill deformities.