PDA

View Full Version : Crablegs anyone?

bheron
06/01/2004, 03:12 PM
Ok, seriously. Dr Ron, can you tell me if you knwo what's going on here...

I started with 2 emerald crabs in my new tank a few months ago. One eventually died - I know this b/c I physically took his body out of the tank, studied it closely, even took a snapshot, and then gave him a proper funeral. I havent verified with the pic yet, but I am 99% sure he had his major limbs in tact.

Well, this weekend (about a month later) I dont see my other emerald but I do see, clearly, a large, green front claw on the bottom of the tank. Looked like it was in tact all the way to the joint - so it wasn't just a claw, but his entire limb/arm of his front claw.

So I assumed either the other one's dead or maybe lost a limb in battle, etc. Well, a few minutes later, there is his, emerald crab and all of his limbs were in tact!

Long story to a short question -- sorry. Do emeralds shed limbs, their large front limbs?

rshimek
06/01/2004, 03:43 PM
Hi,

Some crabs will drop their chelipeds if they are threatened by a predator. The claw often opens and closes for a while after this, apparently this may distract the predator.

They don't do this frequently and it is quite stressful.