PDA

View Full Version : Green Pavona acclimation question

parrothead
05/31/2004, 07:50 PM
I just acquired a Pavona decassuta on Saturday and followed the recommended acclimation procedure as described by the vendor, with the exception of the iodine dip. Thus far, the polyps are still fully retracted. I kept the lights off for the first 24 hours. Should I continue to keep the lights dim until polyps extend, or slowly begin bringing the intensity up with increasing photoperiod?

From reading your book (thanks), I see that different corals can have different acclimation periods. Should I be concerned about not having polyp extension after two days with a Pavona? The coral is located at the bottom of the tank, and is not close to any other corals nor is it touching anything.

(As a sidebar, a Montipora aequituberculata added simultaneously and similarly acclimated seems to be doing fine and is extending its polyps).

Recent changes to tank = none.
38 gallon
250 HQI 10,000K
T = 77 to 80F
SG = 1.023
pH = 8.0
PO4 =< .03
Mg = 980 (working on increasing)
Ca = 320 (working on increasing)
Alk = 3.54
NO3 = 0
2 powerheads on wavemaker; don't recall flow rate, but I'd describe my water flow as "moderate to high" given the size of the tank.

Livestock:
Fish: 1 bicolor pseudochromis, 1 b/w damsel, 1 lawnmower blenny
Inverts: 2 red-legged hermits, 1 turbograzer snail, 5 astraea snails, 1 pincushion urchin
Corals: Clove Polyps, 1-Montipora aequituberculata, 1-Green Lobophillia

EricHugo
06/01/2004, 08:17 AM
Go ahead and bring the lights up. Pavona are pretty hardy corals.

parrothead
06/01/2004, 11:40 AM
Thanks.