PDA

View Full Version : repeated invert deaths

daveNandi
05/30/2004, 08:12 PM
Ron,

My husband and I set up a 20 gallon (hexagonal) aquarium about 2 months ago in order to house 2 seahorses. The tank was cycled with just live rock and a substrate bed (crushed aragonite) for a month, and about 2 weeks after the ammonia/nitrite spike subsided, we introduced a variety of snails, a few mexican hermit crabs, a blood shrimp and a pair of peppermint shrimp to take care of algae problems and act as detritivores (seahorses are messy, inefficient eaters and need to be fed twice a day). So just over a month ago, we introduced the 2 'horses and they have done fine ever since (healthy, eating well, no signs of distress). But practically every d*mn invert in that tank has died, and then some (we added a pair of skunk shrimp, both of which died within days of each other, and within 10 days of being placed in the tank). At this point, we have a few nassarius snails still alive (they were added more recently than some of the original, dead turbo and astrea snails) and an algae cowry that was added ~2 weeks ago. The cowry is upside down tonight and not attached to anything, so it too is probably a goner. And I'm wondering: what the h*ll could be going on?

Seahorses are fairly persnickety fish; they don't tolerate high nitrate levels well so we do 2-3 gal water changes every week to keep it below 12.5 ppm (or even twice a week), they need very low-flow conditions in the tank or they can't catch their food, so an Aqua-c remora skimmer equipped with a Maxi-jet 1200 provides the ony water flow, and there is a fair amount of caulerpa for them to hitch onto. No corals. Water parameters are quite constant; temp stays at 78F day and night, pH is 8.2, dKH between 8-9 and salinity is 1.025, measured with a refractometer. 0 ammonia and <0.3 nitrite (the lowest measurement in our test kit). Light is provided by one measly 14W full-spectrum fluorescent bulb.

We bought the tank secondhand from another hobbyist, who states that he never kept anything in it other than a pufferfish and liverock. It was never used as a hospital tank and he never medicated the puffer with anything (ie copper). Plus, the tank stood empty in his basement for over a year before we bought it and cleaned it up (with tap water followed by R/O water. No chemicals or detergents touched that tank).

So I ask, after all this info: what could be selectively killing all the inverts, leaving the delicate seahorses untouched? What have we missed? We can't run this tank without any inverts- algae and nitrates would be too much to keep up with, so we're about to give up and move the seahorses to a Q-tank until we can buy, set up and cycle a new one, but if there's something we could possibly fix in the current set-up it would be WAY preferable.

Thanks for your advice in advance,
Andrea

missyandbrent
05/30/2004, 11:48 PM
What is your Iodine level like? I'm not sure if there is a test kit for Iodine but Inverts need Iodine to make new a exoskeleton. My camelback and the hermit crabs molt every 2-3 weeks. I add Iodine and other additives to my water every water change.

Aaron1100us
05/31/2004, 12:43 AM
Most people don't reccommend dosing iodine unless you have a test kit for it. water changes are usually enough to replace trace amounts of iodine. I've read some studies that say iodine isn't even used by anything. I was going to say copper but you mentioned that copper hasn't been used. How do you acclimate? 12.5ppm for nitrates is a little high, I'd reccommend 5-0ppm for nitrates.

romunov
05/31/2004, 12:56 AM
Testing I is not very successful for hibbists atm! There is an article on Advanced Aquarist (I think) about this...

rshimek
05/31/2004, 10:45 AM
Hi,

It sounds like the tank is seriously contaminated with something, and I would guess copper is probably the culprit. It could be something else, though such as pesticide, or... Decontamination is a pain, and not really worth the trouble for a tank that small. Frankly, I would suggest turning the tank into a terrarium and getting a new aquarium and using that to see if you can change your luck.

daveNandi
06/02/2004, 04:22 PM
Our LFS owner suggested today that our problem was not a toxin, but lack of adequate aeration. He suggests that because it is a hex. tank (taller than it is wide) and has a single powerhead returning water to a skimmer, that there isn't adequate dissolved oxygen. He believes that the caulerpa we have growing in the tank (which gives off O2 during the day but utilizes it at night) is making the problem worse. Does this sound plausible? If so, an airstone should fix things. Or, I suppose, we could pull out the caulerpa.

Thanks for the advice.

FastFish720
06/02/2004, 04:40 PM
If it's copper you could try cuprisorb by seachem

Masoch
06/02/2004, 04:58 PM
You can try running a bunch of carbon in the outflow of your skimmer. Add a couple of experimental snails and see if the carbon prolongs their lives. Change the carbon frequently and see what happens. If the carbon works, your tank is probably contaminated ... along with your rock and substrate.

HTH