PDA

View Full Version : a quick coral question for a newb

saltfishlover
05/30/2004, 10:30 AM
what is a LPS? SPS? also can someone define for me Bright light? medium lighting and low lighting? it seems that these terms would just be relative? could i get an example please? i have a 2 bulb 65W PC 50/50 light fixture? what is this?

Rock Anemone
05/30/2004, 12:36 PM
LPS - Large polyped Scleractinian (stoney) coral
SPS - Large polyped Scleractinian (stoney) coral

For more acronyms, visit: http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Encyclopedia&op=terms&eid=2&ltr=all

As for lighting, wattage isn't everything to determine how bright lighting is, wattage and kelvin are all things to look into. As for your lighting, what size tank do you have and what type of corals do you plan on keeping? Here's a great article I recommend reading: http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

Hope this helps!

Rock Anemone:D

argo
05/30/2004, 01:09 PM
LPS - Long Polyp Stony (like Hammer coral, etc etc) - medium to bright light requirements; SPS - Small Polyp Stony (like Montipora Digitata etc etc) - bright light required.
What is your tank size in gallons? For a 55 gallon your light setup (130W) would be considered low; on a same tank 220-330W VHO system would be considered medium and 2 X 175W Metal Halide with 2 X 110 VHO Actinics would be bright.

saltfishlover
05/30/2004, 08:32 PM
thanks argo.. that helps. i just have 2 65W PC. its a 55gal. my plan is to put a canopy on and attatch a retrofit 175 MH to it as well

argo
05/30/2004, 10:05 PM
If you're planning on upgrading to metal halides - good choice(with actinic supplementation) then remember to acclimate your new arrivals slowly to your light. Also, when purchasing a specific coral species ask what light was it growing under and how high in a tank (how close to a light source) - it'll save you a lot of headache.
In terms of acclimating - some place frags on a bottom of a tank and gradually moving them higher up to a desired spot; some use layers of screens. Acclimation takes place over several weeks - ask around - you'll get some tried and true advice.