PDA

View Full Version : cleaner shrimp death

geaston
05/30/2004, 01:41 AM
i've had a cleaner shrimp in my 60 for about 9 months. regular molting, very hearty and all that. then he just up and died on me. at the time my cannister filter was down (5 days), but the whole community had survived a 45 day cannister filter downtime a few months ago (point being that i believe my biological filtration has been pretty much established via my 60 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand). i was about 10 days overdue for a water change (generally 5/10/5 per month).

i got everything back in order again (filter, water change) and got a new cleaner- although much smaller than the previous one. but he didn't last through the night.

when i called my shop they were a bit perplexed b/c they don't consider these guys very fragile. i very much love having the cleaner shrimp in my tank and want to get another, but wonder if either i just got very unlucky with the new one or maybe have other issues at hand.

don't have water parameters handy but everything else is doing great and i just started using RO to top off about 2 months ago so a previous phosphate issue is now under control

http://www.geocities.com/eastons3541/fish.htm

rshimek
05/30/2004, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I really can't tell you what caused the problem. These shrimp live about 2- 4 years. Perhaps yours was an older one and it just reached the end of its span...