View Full Version : Planning new tank. 100 gallons+. Need advice!

williams-crist
05/29/2004, 04:39 PM
Okay, so I'm planning a new tank.

I want a tank that is 100 gallons+.

Eventually will want to be able to add some inverts so will try to plan it like it's going to be a reef tank.

So, I know I'll want lots of live rock and a good protein skimmer, heaters...

But what about filtration? I've heard that wet/dry filters are crap. Is that true?

What kind of filtration is best for this size of tank? I feel stupid asking this question. Is this where the refugium comes into play.

Please explain this to me based on your best experiences.

Also, I've heard tenecor acrylic is the way to go... What kind of tank do you have? Better to buy at LFS or online?

Thanks for any advice!

Debra

aquababy
05/29/2004, 05:12 PM
The problem with wet dry filters is that they can only convert NH4 and NO2 to NO3, they are nitrate makers. LR converts NH4 & NO2 but also converts NO3 on and in the same piece of rock so technically speaking your reef really never gets to see NO3 or at least the full amount that a wet dry will produce. Refugiums also creat an invironment that can deal with nitrates as well as support delicate creatures that live in it and by reproduction supply the tank with some live food as well. Plants are also allowed to grow in a refugium (refuge from plant eating creatures such as tangs) and the whole tank benefits from them as well.

Sorry, I can't help you out with the acrylic question..