PDA

View Full Version : Zooanthid Tissue Disintegrating!

kalcium
05/29/2004, 10:23 AM
HI Dr. Ron,

New to the forum and grateful for any assistance on the following issue:

I have two zooanthid colonies, physically away from one another. There are quite a few other colonies between them (each on its own non-touching rock). Some of the polyps on each of these two colonies have begun turning white and slowly disintegrating down to nothing. This seems to happen to a collection of 4-6 polyps at a time. Everytime I think that's the end of it, a few days later another collection of polyps off the same colony begins closing up and turning white and then dissolving or dissintegrating over a period of a few days.

Important to note: All other zooanthids are doing just fine. They all sit in a reef only system (no fish). All water paramaters are virtually ideal (Nitrates are low at around 2.5ppm). Aside from this, Nothing out of the ordniary.

Can you please advise on why this is happening and how to stop it? I read that if this is a bacterial infection that I should swab the infected area with Iodine. Is this OK?

Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks so much. -KM.

rshimek
05/29/2004, 11:50 AM
[moved]

I think Eric's forum is the best place to get an informed answer on this, so I have moved the thread here. :D