PDA

View Full Version : I know your gone but when you get a chance Dr. Ron...

Cube Crazy
05/29/2004, 02:02 AM
Could you maybe push me in one direction. I have read and read and read and now I am even more confused than ever. I am setting up a 36x36x24 tank(135g or so) with a 50g sump. My problem is I am planning on around a 60x turnover in the tank between the overflows and CL's, I am not sure that sand will stay anyware except suspended in the water. I was all set to set up a refug./DSB out of a 56g tank I have laying around, but then did a search on remote DSB's and now I am not so sure on the idea. Would it help at all with my tank to have a DSB in the refugium.

Thanks for any help,
DW

staticfishmonger
05/29/2004, 02:21 AM
you may want to think about a bare bottom tank. and if your like me and dont like the look than this may be for you. it is a very neat idea. he took starboard which is plastic cutting board and using pvc cement he glued down a thin layer of sand. you get the nice look and the advantages of a barebottom tank. here is the link to the thread.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=372666&highlight=bare+bottom+tanks

good luck and happy reefing.

rshimek
05/29/2004, 11:39 AM
Hi DW,

You can do a search of this forum for information about DSBs in refugia. They generally don't work too well.

romunov
05/30/2004, 02:14 AM
Use the refuge for macro algae - excellent nutrient exporters!

Devious Rhesus
10/04/2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by romunov
Use the refuge for macro algae - excellent nutrient exporters!

My problem with macro is that they get packed with detritus: Mechanical filtration. I guess you could always take the macro out and shake it in a pale of water....