PDA

View Full Version : Not a happy squamosa clam (need advice please)

Timmay
05/28/2004, 04:59 PM
Hello all,

I need some advice: I bought a large 10" squamosa last weekend and it's not doing so well in my tank. He's not opening up very much and in some places it looks like his mantle is receding. I've tested the water and everything looks pretty good. Alk=9.0, pH=8.25, Nitrate=0, Temp=79 (middle of the day with AC going), Calcium=475. I've watched for something irritating him and haven't been able to find anything. I've also tried putting him higher/lower in the tank, but no difference. He seems happiest in the sand, so that's where he's at now. For lighting I have 400 watts PC 10k/actinic over 125 gallons. I have 3 other clams and several SPS corals that are all happy, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I supplement with B-Ionic and feed ESV and/or Cyclop-eze daily. Here are some pictures of the new clam (http://www.smokingchimp.com/timsreef/temp/) and my 3 other clams.

Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Timmay
05/28/2004, 05:10 PM
I should also note that his mantle seems to be more evenly opened in the mornings before all the lights turn on. There's none of the recession you see in the pics.

He was fully extended under MH and VHO at the fish store and had been there for several weeks.

Tim

Gary Majchrzak
05/28/2004, 06:05 PM
Big clams sometimes have trouble adjusting to moving to a new position- sometimes even in the same aquarium. Did you notice if the tank it came from had less water flow? How long was it in the previous tank- and what were it's parameters? FWIW- my big squamosa seems to do extra well when fed phytoplankton.

Timmay
05/28/2004, 07:02 PM
He'd been in the tank I bought him from for a couple of weeks. I didn't think to ask about the water parameters, but the tank was full of healthy corals so I suspect the water was similar to mine.

Is it normal for large clams to look sick for a while after they've been moved?

Tim

Gary Majchrzak
05/28/2004, 08:50 PM
It depends. Obviously you're keeping close watch on it. I would never place a large squamosa on rocks- keep that bad boy on the bottom.

Timmay
05/29/2004, 08:20 AM
Gary - Thanks for the input.

Tim