PDA

View Full Version : Thriving sponge ... a good thing?

MiddletonMark
05/28/2004, 05:03 AM
I was wondering your take on the great sponge growth I've gotten recently in my sump. I thought it a good thing [sponge obviously is consuming something, expanding, and pass thru them a large amount of water daily] ... but then I started to wonder about long-term.

Sponges do have toxins, will it leach them? Do I have to worry that the sponge will die back and cause a problem? [acro/monti dominated tank, might be sensitive]

Or am I overanalyzing? It sure is a cool thing, making the pump-intake section of the sump something to check out. At worst I'll just put it in one of the tanks in the basement.

Anyway, below is a pic. I'd be interested in your thoughts on any released chemicals from the sponge.
http://webpages.charter.net/markfelten/sponge_in_sump.jpg

Dexter1334
05/28/2004, 07:43 AM
The last time I saw something like that was in ALIENS ! I am going to have nightmares tonite :)

I have TBS rock which is covered in chicken liver, black, red, yellow and orange sponges of different types. Nothing that looks like yours though.

The only time I had a problem was during cycling when some died from trauma during shipping. THe decomposition sent the ammonia soaring. Otherwise they are welcome members of the tank.

EricHugo
05/28/2004, 08:59 AM
Its been my experience that the sponges that grow in areas like this (cryptic, to some extent), and that are not brightly colored tend to be rather benign. Fantastic growth, and really beautfiul. Way to go.