PDA

View Full Version : Brown film on water surface

bobbo
05/28/2004, 12:05 AM
My 5 month old 20G long has just developed a film of brown stuff on water surface. While this occured red bacteria (temporary forgotten the name) has almost disappeared. I am assuming the brown stuff is draining all the nutrients out of water. My protein skimmer is on 24/7 however it has not been skimming as much tank cycling. I cleaned the whole skimmer (Aquac Remora) last weekend however it still is not pumping a whole lot of protein.

iCam
05/28/2004, 12:18 AM
Hey. Uusally whena film collects on the surface, that means you need more water flow on the surface. Try skimming it up with something, and maybe have a powerhead point towards the surface.

bobbo
05/28/2004, 05:54 AM
Thanks, I will give it a try.

mikep
05/28/2004, 09:33 AM
I had the same problem. I have the Remora Pro and I added the surface skimmer option for that skimmer and it cleared up in a matter of hours after installing the box.

Here is a link to one of the R/C sponsers.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_aquac_remora.asp?CartId=

HTH

Michael

hwynboy
05/28/2004, 09:37 AM
If you are interested in a brand new Aqua Remora C I have one that has not seen water....pm me.

god_of_wolves
05/28/2004, 09:39 AM
A Maxijet 400 or 600 running across the top of the surface works great!

Can pick one up for under $20.

cuttingtom
05/28/2004, 09:51 AM
Spray bar works well also.
Brian

god_of_wolves
05/28/2004, 09:54 AM
Brian do you have your spray bar near the surface?

I set mine up along the bottom in pack with the holes pointign in various directions (away from the sand).

With no rock it kept the surface moving, but with rock, I needed a power head for the surface.

DaveJohnson
05/28/2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by bobbo
I am assuming the brown stuff is draining all the nutrients out of water.
The brown stuff on the surface is the nutrients. The brown stuff is AKA a protein film. Think about adding a pre-filter to your Remora to allow your skimmer to remove it.

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

cuttingtom
05/28/2004, 10:43 AM
I have a Filstar XP3 that I use for charcoal and the spray bar. I pu the spray bar about 1/2 inch above the water line and it moves about 300 gph. I tried to take it out recently and ended up putting it back a week later. It is possible to make a spray bar from a Maxi Jet you need a 3/4 hose barb-connect that to a short piece of flex tubing and union that into a piece of PVC. I would like to go without the spray bar-it puts so muc salt up I have to clean my pendant glass each week-but when I lower it it isn't as effective.
Brian