PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any luck with a Powder Brown Tang?

masterswimmer
05/27/2004, 08:00 PM
As the subject reads......

That's the tang I'm hoping to get. Has anyone had any success with them?

Russ

ADS
05/27/2004, 08:32 PM
These tangs are very labile-best to wait until your tank is more established-that includes powder blues, purples,clown tangs
Adam

foxstop
05/27/2004, 09:10 PM
I gotta tell ya, the Yellow Tang that I have is just great. Standard of the hobby and some folks consider it kind of common, but he's still a darn good fish. I was going to go for a sailfin, but I was thinking that they can get really large.

That Kole Tang in TW was looking better too Russ. I think they are a bit hardier than the Powder Browns, blues, etc. but I'm not totally sure.

Good luck!

Brian

Tomzpc
05/27/2004, 11:18 PM
Russ,

I'd stick with the Kole or a Yellow for a 75 gallon if you really have your heart set on adding a tang. Just my opinion. :P

seaham358
05/28/2004, 08:13 AM
I have a Atlantic blue and Scopus who are great tangs and should do well in a 75. My book says that the Powder Brown is a 3 out of 5 and that they fair poorly during collection, its delicate and hard to acclimate.... A tank with flourishing algae will ensure it gets enough to eat. Like Adam says not now.
Not a newbie fish...

masterswimmer
05/28/2004, 04:22 PM
Thanx everyone. Bob I've got the same Marine Fish book by Scott Michael. That's why I asked if anyone had any success. It does say it's a 75 gallon fish so that's why I even considered it. As far as algae is concerned......that's part of my problem, my tank looks like it's been established for 5 years with all the freakin algae I've got growing. And lots of different kinds, greens, reds, browns. I'd say I have a minimum of six different algaes growing. Does this change anyones opinion? I need a grazer to combat this stuff.

Brian, is TW's Kole nice? Does it have spots or stripes? Brown? or any other color? I won't have a chance to get up there till next week sometime.

TIA everyone,
Russ

dgasmd
05/28/2004, 04:42 PM
They can be finicky fish in terms of getting parasites like ick. Had one for about 2 years and just died about 2 weeks ago. I truely think it was killed by a giant bristtle worm in the tank. I know it had been attacked by it once before, but the second time must have killed it. Mine eat tons. They require tons of swimming room. Mine never ate much algae off the rocks, and for that matter, neither did any of my other tangs (powder blue, achiles, yellow, hippo, and naso).

foxstop
05/28/2004, 04:45 PM
The Kole at TW (if it's still there) is a juvenille and is striped with its main color being brown. Last I was there I saw that it seemed healthy and it had grown a bit.

They had a bunch of yellow tangs there as well.

Brian

masterswimmer
05/28/2004, 05:04 PM
dgasmd,
Thanx for the info. Would you consider another one? Do you consider a 75 too small?

Brian,
I'll cross my fingers and hope TW still has it when I make it over there.

Russ

dgasmd
05/28/2004, 09:07 PM
Yes, I would consider another in the future. In your particular case, I would highly discourage you from getting any tangs at all. I know it sounds like a broken record, but after having some in a smaller tank (125g) and then having some in a much larger tank, it is obvious the difference it makes in their natural behavior and level of stress, not to mention their propensity to get and fight infections.

foxstop
05/28/2004, 09:48 PM
So what would the minimum size tank for a tang be in your opinion?
I realize most of them can get quite large, but there are a few that can be kept in smaller tanks (by smaller meaning 75g-120g or so). I avoided some of the larger species and picked a tang that I thought would be happy in my 120g. He's the only one I plan on keeping.

My Yellow Tang eats Formula 2 and constantly picks at algae in the tank. So far so good. I'm not sure I'm replicating his behavior in nature, but he seems happy and healthy.

Brian

dgasmd
05/28/2004, 09:55 PM
Chief:

I am nobody. I am not trying to tell you what to do, but rather my experience with it. That is what you asked for. The rest is up to you.

foxstop
05/29/2004, 12:15 PM
Not a problem. I value your opinion. I was just worried about the fish I had chosen for my tank.

Brian

seaham358
05/29/2004, 05:53 PM
Brian,
The yellow will do fine in your 120. I have 3 tangs in my 125 over a year and they are all doing great. I have a yellow in my 55 fowlr and it is doing great getting fatter everyday. I have plenty of swimming room in both tanks. If your into corals and are going to pile the LR in the tank so you have more places for the coral then I would not get more then 2 tangs. And make the second one of the smaller tangs.

Russ,
I would look into another type of fish for your type of algae problem.... A couple large turbos will help out also. My AB and Scopus alway eat the micro type algae on the LR and glass. Not sure if there hair type algae eaters.