PDA

View Full Version : T-5's and Clams

Photon
05/27/2004, 11:39 AM
Has anyone had any experience using T-5 lighting with maximas and/or croceas?
Thanks,
James

user48953
05/27/2004, 12:49 PM
James.. I have a maxima (from ORA buy a couple of months ago) that is about 18" deep on the sand.. it was about 1.5" when i first got it, and may be almost 2" now (not scientific; did not use a ruler).. so far it's doing great, as for as i can tell.. it usually opens up all the way and is very alert; when a fish swims close or something gets near, it will quickly pull back it's mantle and slowly/cautiously open again within a few seconds..

i did notice when i first put him in the tank, it was directly under the sun bulbs, then over the course of a week, it moved to under the blue bulbs.. as well as turned itself 180 degrees, probably b/c i had him reverse of the flow..

also, i've read that when their young, they don't need a lot of light, just more food.. and as they get bigger, they photosynthesis more.. i plan on moving it up higher on the rocks when it gets about 3"..

huy

CaptiveReefSystems
05/27/2004, 08:17 PM
I would agree with Huy. I use T-5's in my clients tanks. They work well, but I would not go below the 18" mentioned above. SunLight is coming out with a new HQI/T-5 lamp called the Maristar. Great combo lamp. Check it out on their web site.

Photon
05/28/2004, 01:09 AM
I currently have maximas and croceas in two of my tanks, one with 400 MH's and one with 250 MH's. I am in the process of consolidating two tanks into one and was wondering how T-5's would work, but the new tank would be a minimum of 24" deep or up to 28" deep.
James

fishsoldseprtly
05/29/2004, 11:33 AM
James, I have been to a few of the biggest places in LA and all they use are T5s for there clams and even sps