PDA

View Full Version : something eating my peppermints...

reb1058
05/27/2004, 08:19 AM
Quick question. I think one of these three candidates is eating my peppermint shrimp. Either my 2.5" pistol shrimp, my 2" pixie hawk, or (2) 5-6" serpent stars. I am pretty sure they are not dying as they have been living okay for a good while and this morning another one was gone but this time I saw 2 antenna laying in the sand! Comments??

dooleyb
05/27/2004, 08:34 AM
Do you have emerald crabs. Mine ate two peppermint shrimp that I had to control aptasia. The emerald was to control bubble algae. It appears that the two cannot co-exist.

EdKruzel
05/27/2004, 08:53 AM
Hawkfish are known shrimp and snail predators.

Ed

Entropy
05/27/2004, 09:36 AM
Out of the critters listed I would vote for the Hawkfish as well. I don't it is the serpent stars, and pistol shrimp seems unlikely as well. Are you sure they just didn't molt and are hiding behind the rocks or somewhere?

I have two peppermints in the same tank as an emerald by the way and they have all gotten along fine for at least six months although I never see the stink'n emerald anymore (it only comes our right before the lights go off).

reb1058
05/27/2004, 09:57 AM
They used to molt all the time. I would find the old shells on rock or intake tube, etc. Not any more. I do have an Emerald, but in the last six months I had both they never seemed to bother each other. The hawk and stars are fairly new additions, that's why I think it was one of them. Also, they would always come out at night even if they were hiding during the day. Bummer, I liked the shrimp and the hawk....

reb1058
05/27/2004, 09:59 AM
Oh, yea the Emerald has taken up permanent residence under my 7" LTA which is sitting in the sand bed. Rarely moves from underneath the LTA's mantle.

alprazo
05/27/2004, 10:04 AM
I you sure you don't have a small mantis in the tank. They will click, kind of similar to a pistol. I small one will likely leave your fish alone.

reb1058
05/27/2004, 10:16 AM
No Mantis. Pistol was given to me. It is definitely a pistol. Thanks to all for your replies. Looks like the hawk goes or no shrimp. Have to think about that one...