PDA

View Full Version : VHO and Fire Hazard...

chwattscaw
05/26/2004, 08:31 PM
I have a concern. I had an old Coralife VHO ballast and end caps that I was using, and they quite working the other day. I was working with them today to try to get them back online, and noticed that one of the end caps was 'melted' quite a bit. It was clearly an electrical arcing, that could have resulted in a fire.

I have read about that here, and will do some more research.

Now here is my question. I want to supplement my MH lighting with Actinic. But I don't wan to burn my house down. So what is hte advice. Is there a brand that is 'better' in this regard.

I have of course pitched both the wiring harness and the coralife ballast. they were both quite old.

Are the other brands better? Advice?

I am really thinking now, I may just go with a bluer DE 250K bulb and forgoe the 'risk' with the VHO's.

Advice please!!!!!!

Chris

aberg12012
05/26/2004, 11:45 PM
Are you sure the bulb was secured in the end cap? Usually arcing would mean the bulb wasn't securly seated in the end cap. There shouldn't be any arcing if there is a secure connection.

mikester
05/27/2004, 08:18 AM
Why not supplement with T5's instead?

chwattscaw
05/27/2004, 09:10 AM
Are T5's less of a fire hazard? What type of end caps do you use for that bulb type? What about length, I can get a 46" for the VHO, which fits in my canopy........can I do that with the T5's?