PDA

View Full Version : Can pickling lime be found locally?

user48953
05/26/2004, 03:42 PM
I've found pickling salt but no lime so far.. does anyone know of a secret source for pickling lime around town? the alternative is spend around $7 for shipping a $2 package :rolleyes:

wombat2
05/26/2004, 07:45 PM
Does it really cost that much to ship one package? I remember getting like 20 packages a while back for around that price...

tpete
05/26/2004, 11:50 PM
I'm also looking for the lime. I have searched most the chain grocery stores in Rancho Cordova and no luck. If you find any please let me know. Terry

palawan
05/26/2004, 11:55 PM
One local reefer found it a tortilla manufacturer in Santa Cruz. I think it was dreamreef. Anyway he sold it at his cost to the BARE reef club a while back. It still have a lot left. Look him up.

changhsu
05/27/2004, 02:51 AM
WalMart was selling Ball's pickling lime up until a few weeks ago for less than $2 a tin.

jayson_219@yahoo.com
05/27/2004, 08:07 AM
i ordered mine online. though i forgot the sight, you guys could do a search in the DIY section for pickling line. the link is in one of those threads. i forgot which one it was though. all together with shipping my pickling lime costed me about $5 and has lasted me close to 6 months with half to go.
-jason-

user48953
05/27/2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by changhsu
WalMart was selling Ball's pickling lime up until a few weeks ago for less than $2 a tin.

Which section in WalMart did they have it? WM is pretty huge to find a small tin :) i want to check the ones up in Roseville.

changhsu
05/27/2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah, it took me a while to track it down in WM. It is in the "canning" section in the kitchen aisle, together with the food containers, utensils, etc. But since it is a seasonal item, I sometimes find it floating around the store.

If WM doesn't have it, I wonder if other food processing related shops have it.

-chang

Bamm Bamm
06/01/2004, 12:19 AM
it's in a green cylindrylical(sp?) container at WALMART made by a company called Balls I believe or ball.. i found some at the chico walmart.

culdublvd
06/01/2004, 05:31 PM
I found mine at walmart next to the pickling salt. It was made by ball and under $2.00. They might have just been out when you looked.

bookfish
06/04/2004, 02:15 PM
Someone at Seabay (sorry I'm bad w/names) bought a lot and has repackaged it. It's supposed to be a higher grade and it's really reasonable.
Try asking on their forum.-Jim

sagitariuscbc
06/04/2004, 03:11 PM
reefdream-roger is his name. very nice guy to deal with!

bookfish
06/04/2004, 03:26 PM
And great deals on my favorite glue!-Jim

sagitariuscbc
06/04/2004, 03:34 PM
i have bought refugium lights, lime, and epoxy from roger!
he also has some very nice anemone clones for those that are looking for a healthy specimen.
shawn

trmills
06/04/2004, 03:44 PM
Mrs. Wages is cheap and if you buy several packages, the total cost is very reasonable.

Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime (http://store.yahoo.com/mrswages/mrswagpiclim.html)

-Terry

Bamm Bamm
06/04/2004, 06:19 PM
What kind anenomes? RBTA's?
I wish mine would split already it's tooo damned big for my 55 and keep stining my SPS..

sagitariuscbc
06/04/2004, 06:31 PM
i just sent roger an e-mail. i hope he will chime in and give you all the best answers.

last i knew he had 2 types of rbta and a seabay.
i heard him say he had quite a few available at the last seabay meeting. i am not sure which one's he was talking about.
hth
shawn

Bamm Bamm
06/04/2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks Shawn.. One of these days I'm going to make it to a MARS meeting and finally meet all of you guys

ReefDream
06/04/2004, 08:49 PM
The best calcium hydroxide available for ANY price (better than analytical grade) is available in 50-pound bags from Mississippi Lime Company. I found a local tortilla factory that sells it for $22 for 50 pound bags. I resell it for about twice that or $5 for 5 pounds. The reason I charge a little extra is because the stuff is extremely difficult to handle and a total mess. Anyway, if you live in the bay area here is the place (call before hand to make sure they have an extra bag):

Mexico Tortilla Factory & Deli
Address: 7015 Thornton Ave, Newark, CA 94560
Phone: (510) 792-9909

Also, I do have super nice $50 (plus actual shipping) rose anemones for sale right now, but I haven't posted pictures yet. They are extremely healthy, domestically cultivated in a specialized tank, several generations from the ocean, very bright with about 4" discs and about 4" tenacles. I have red and white foot ones. These are not like the sick ones I've seen at some local stores that are about dead (won't name names but I think we all know). I guarantee no bag leaks (the bags are super heavy grade Food Saver heat sealed bags), live arrival, and they will stick immediately (a sign of health).

sagitariuscbc
06/04/2004, 09:07 PM
thank you roger for chiming in!:thumbsup:
for those that don't know roger he is a wealth of information aswell as a very nice person!
shawn

thereefgeek
06/04/2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Bamm Bamm
Thanks Shawn.. One of these days I'm going to make it to a MARS meeting and finally meet all of you guys

Please do. Dr. Le from Aquatic Gallerys in Milpitas will be presenting a talk on "refugiums" at the June meeting. All are welcome. There will be one of those CPR h.o.b. 'fuges on the raffle table, and maybe even some of the "legal" caulerpa up for grabs as well.

thereefgeek
06/04/2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by ReefDream
These are not like the sick ones I've seen at some local stores that are about dead (won't name names but I think we all know).

6th Ave?

Bamm Bamm
06/05/2004, 10:48 AM
When is the june meeting? I met Dr. Le a month ago cool guy hooked me up fat at his store..

user48953
06/07/2004, 01:50 AM
I just picked some Ball pickling lime ($1.48) at the WalMart on Pleasant Grove today.. they still have several cans left; i left about 10 or so when i was done..

if anyone needs some and can't make it up there, let me know and i'll pick it up for you.. we can do the exchange at the next MARS meeting..

huy