PDA

View Full Version : pink nudibranch

Haggisman14
05/26/2004, 01:01 PM
Hey everyone. I was looking @ my tank this morning round 6 am, and saw this slug, what I believe to be a type of nudibranch. It was about 1-1.5" long, had a pinkish body, w/black striping down the center. This is the first time I have ever seen it. Are these benificial, or can they cause harm. None of my corals have been damaged thus far. Just curious if anyone would have a picture, or could let me know their thoughts. Thanx

marc

NicoleC
05/26/2004, 01:21 PM
You can try www.seaslugforum.net, or posting a pic here.

Haggisman14
05/26/2004, 02:05 PM
it looks very similar to the slug on the main page of seaslugforum.net. However it doesn't have that spikey thing, and it's pink and black. Wasn't able to snap a picture of it. When I finally got my camera fixed up w/new batteries it disappeared...

http://www.seaslugforum.net/images/splash05.jpg

Post edited to remove copyrighted image. Follow the link.

rshimek
05/26/2004, 02:59 PM
Hi,

It is probably a chromodorid. If so, odds are it eats specific types of sponges. These nudis are generally quite toxic, but most are harmless in reef tanks. However, they also don't generally the correct food in reef aquaria and starve to death there.

Haggisman14
05/26/2004, 03:12 PM
Thanx Ron...just seems a bit odd that i'm first seeing this guy after having the tank up since January. Guy seems pretty long, but all is doing well in the tank. thanx