PDA

View Full Version : Observations of Paracerceis Sculpta

pat_man_ta
05/26/2004, 12:48 PM
In my last thread on these critters (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=350960) I was largely ignorant of pods and 'pod behavior. Being that my nano is on my desk I spend 40+ hours a week within 18" of it and get lots of oppurtunity to observe. Also, my computer is right here too, so I have lots of info at my fingertips all day.

I now have a healthy population of these nifty critters and i can see the pride on the rockwork in the morning usually, at least the adult male.

The behavior that I just now observed that inspired me to post this was a juvenile or small male morph just chowed down on a stalk of bristle algae. I have had a problem with this stuff for about a week and a half due to an auto-feeder overfeeding. This resulted in an algal and a continuing pod explosion. I'm just trying to contribute what I can to the knowledgebase on these nifty little critters.

pat_man_ta
05/27/2004, 09:36 AM
Later yesterday I also observed one of these, if not the same, chowing down on an unidentified and like sized 'pod. The 'pod appeared to still be alive.

I have also observed that they kick and swat with their legs as well as flip their tail to defend themselves / deter nuisances.

pat_man_ta
06/07/2004, 10:55 AM
My bristle algae is almost gone and my population of mature Paracerceis Sculpta is quite large. I am faced with the possibility of having to farm this algae to maintain such a hefty pride of these critters. I would like to breed them and make them available to other hobbyists (anyone interested?).

However, the bushy pom-pom like hair algae in my tank seems to be left untouched by all but the smaller pods, which seem to be using it for cover rather than a food source.