PDA

View Full Version : WAMAS meeting discount

michaelg
05/24/2004, 03:19 PM
We are offering $10 off the admission for the meeting to any societies that bring a group of 5 or more (same price as our members). Please post up on your website to encourage other members. Contact us through our website to make arrangements. Looks to be a fabulous, information packed symposia. We would love to have visitors from the region to include a huge frag swap.
Hope to see you there!
Michael
www.wamas.org

Fizz71
05/25/2004, 08:49 AM
OK...now I've got nothing against WAMAS..in fact..Michael..Thank you for the info...

..but what has me miffed is that Michael here did the exact same thing that Mal tried to do and when Mal did it there was a big SPAM stink. This is the second time now that I've seen a person post in our forum and all other group forums (or in this case just the local clubs) since the before mentioned incident. Is this considered acceptable use now?

Understand that I would LIKE it to be considered acceptable use provided the group is within "driving distance", I just want to know if we're going to get crap if we try to let others know about the really big swap that we're trying to organize this fall?!

So since the moderators might not see this post.....Micheal..did anybody at RC give you crap for your posts?

--Fizz

michaelg
05/25/2004, 08:54 AM
No, I haven't received any sort of warning, nor do I plan on abusing these forums. The main announcement that was pinned in all the club forums was done by JohnL. I limited my individual post to those clubs that are within driving distance of DC- personally I don't see it as unwanted spam to let other groups around us know of activities that are of interest. We hope people will use our part of this forum to make us aware of things they have going on. To me, that is perhaps one of the great things about having so many groups with forums here, as it really helps pass information about events along. It would have taken me much much longer to visit each clubs website and contact their webmasters.

Fizz71
05/25/2004, 12:30 PM
Neither do I...But certain members of the RC staff felt otherwise when one of our members did the same thing...and believe me..it was a big stink in here when it happened. It was handled poorly too..but that's all in the past...

Like I said..I don't have a problem with it..I appreciate it..We'll just have to see what happens when we put out a post for our event in November.

Good luck with your event.

--Fizz

michaelg
05/25/2004, 12:39 PM
Well these forums are open to all members. Perhaps someone complained? We could always ask members of a society to post it up if needed I guess.

Tagamet
05/25/2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by michaelg
Well these forums are open to all members. Perhaps someone complained? We could always ask members of a society to post it up if needed I guess.

I read the initial post and my first thought was " wow, a discount for neighboring groups willing to make a road trip is an excellent idea! Why didn't WE think of that". My second thought was "uh-oh, the old wounds haven't healed yet and this is not going to go un noticed".
I guess I'm glad that maybe there's a little more wiggle room in the policy now. We can't change what happened in the past. If this is a sign that things are loosening up, I'm happy. Personally, I'd think it wise to get a clearcut decision by a moderator before posting anything in other neighboring club forums about our upcoming swap/meeting. That will avoid getting plastered with a "NO SPAM" icon, or worse, being banned for our reaction thereto.
Just my .02. Please, let's keep calm and just swallow hard.
Tagamet
PS michaelg, best of luck with the meeting. It sounds like a great time.

Mal3
06/13/2004, 09:06 PM
I just will jump in and say I was the one that got the warning and I did what michaelg did.

I agree with what was posted by all so far.

I am glad to see that a club can tell another club about an event without someone making a big deal of it.

I hope we can get to the event.

thanks for the info.

Mal3
06/13/2004, 09:23 PM
By the way,

Who is interested in going? I may go. Does anyone else want to go? It sounds great.

michaelg
06/14/2004, 07:47 AM
Check out the latest updates. We will be having exhibitors from the National Zoo, NOAA's Reef Conservation program, Adventure Scuba, etc. This really does look to be a great event.

Tagamet
06/15/2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by michaelg
Check out the latest updates. We will be having exhibitors from the National Zoo, NOAA's Reef Conservation program, Adventure Scuba, etc. This really does look to be a great event.

It really does sound like a great event. Maybe I missed it, but the biggest "draw" for me would be availability of SPS to either trade or purchase. I couldn't find any mention of swaps. Will it just be vendors with goods to sell?
Thanks,
Tagamet

michaelg
06/16/2004, 03:57 PM
The frag swap thread has been initiated in our forums. It is in the general discussion. Check back frequently. We normally have this in a members only area, but as we are expecting at least a few out of towners, I wanted all participants to be able to see it. You will need to register on the website (free, just like here) to post something, but naturally you can see it. Probably over the weekend it will start to pickup. Dr. Mac will be there as our vendor.

Michael