PDA

View Full Version : how to start overflow siphon

myth
05/24/2004, 10:37 AM
how do you start a u tube siphon over flow. i tryed for two hours yesterday with no luck any one have any tips?

Entropy
05/24/2004, 10:42 AM
Suck on the end of the drain :D

How is your overflow setup? Usually you just have to provide enough suction to get the water up and over the top of the tube. You could hook a small pump up to the end of the drain or use the old fashioned method (mentioned above).

dooleyb
05/24/2004, 10:49 AM
Make sure that you pour some water in the overflow (the side of the overflow where the U-tube fits). Then insert a small flexible air tube up through one end of the U-tube and suck out the air pocket at the top of the u-tube.. The water will begin to flow once the air pocket is removed. Remove the flexible tube.

myth
05/24/2004, 10:59 AM
ok i'll try the above, but heres a silly question. if i fill up both sides of the over flow box and them put in the u tube theirs a big air pocket in the u tube correct so that means sucking out lots of air right?

pbanda
05/24/2004, 11:02 AM
Yes... and you'll probably get a mouthful of water as well!! ;)

laxing22
05/24/2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by myth
ok i'll try the above, but heres a silly question. if i fill up both sides of the over flow box and them put in the u tube theirs a big air pocket in the u tube correct so that means sucking out lots of air right?
If both end are under water, it is not a ton of air suck out. I wouyld recomend at least four feet to not suck in too much salty water. Often if there is only a little air, and water is begining to flow, the rest of the air will work itself out

jarhed
05/24/2004, 11:19 AM
myth,

The airtube sucking works perfectly. Once the air bubble is gone, the siphon starts beautifully. Just have a can or something to spit the water into that gets into your mouth. Started my overflow up last Tuesday and it worked just fine.

bait
05/24/2004, 11:54 AM
Fill the u-tube with water and hold upside down. Cover each end with a piece of plastic wrap and flip over into the overflow box. (Make sure you have the overflow set so that water will flow into the intake.) Pull the plastic wrap off and the water will flow through the tube.

pbanda
05/24/2004, 12:25 PM
bait... very nice, I will have to try that next time I clean my U-tube.

stgla
05/24/2004, 05:20 PM
I use the airline method. With practice and good reflexes, you will learn not get any tank water in your mouth.

Removing the airline without disturbing the u-tube can be tricky.

Mach's Tank
05/24/2004, 10:34 PM
I like Bait's way... putting it in the memory banks

myth
05/25/2004, 08:58 AM
i'm trying baits method tonight, and i'll let everyone know how it works thanks for the great ideas.this fourm rocks!!!

myth
05/26/2004, 08:29 AM
well heres a update, bait your the man!(or maybe woman). that was the greatest tip it took about 2 seconds to start the over flow. i fought with the seran wrap for about 2 minutes and it was very easy to slip off the over flow..thanks for the help i'm now a proud new owmer of my first sump!!!refrigum comming soon, just have to get a rubbermaid container...

myth
05/26/2004, 08:30 AM
oh yah no air bubbles either. :D

bait
05/26/2004, 08:38 AM
No problem, I fought with one for about for about two hours myself and found this tip on the net. Glad to pass it along.

alphaferret
05/26/2004, 10:58 PM
how about just hookin it up to ur existing powerhead-let that do the suckin 4 u

stgla
05/28/2004, 09:22 AM
Make the PH draw water through a 1" or larger diameter tube? No thanks.

Sucking on an airline hose for a split second to pull out the air bubble is a lot easier, at least once you get the hang of it. But I am going to try the saran wrap trick just to check it out.

eameres
05/28/2004, 10:05 AM
The previous owner of my tank showed me the saran wrap method. Works like a charm.

beaslbob
05/28/2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by myth
how do you start a u tube siphon over flow. i tryed for two hours yesterday with no luck any one have any tips?

At first I would put an air tubing in the utube with it's end at the highest point. Then suck the air out with both ends of the utube underwater. I now have added a nipple and valve to the top of the utube. So now I attach another tubing to the valve and open it. And again suck the air out of the utube then close the valve.

HTH.

Freed
05/28/2004, 11:40 AM
I used to do the saran wrap method until I got smart. I now use about 4-5 feet of air line and suck the air out and don't get any water in my mouth. I will try the nipple and the valve thing in the near future. Will make the air line method even more of a no brainer.

DaveJohnson
05/28/2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Freed
I will try the nipple and the valve thing in the near future. Will make the air line method even more of a no brainer.
Good luck drilling the U-tube. I cracked 3 of them (at too many $$s each for what they are) before I gave up, they're made of very cheap brittle plastic, and went back to using the airline. If you can drill them successfully post here how you did it. (though perhaps I'll try using my dremel instead of a regular drill next time)

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

beaslbob
05/28/2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by DaveJohnson
Good luck drilling the U-tube. I cracked 3 of them (at too many $$s each for what they are) before I gave up, they're made of very cheap brittle plastic, and went back to using the airline. If you can drill them successfully post here how you did it. (though perhaps I'll try using my dremel instead of a regular drill next time)

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

Good point. Mine was a softer plastic not totally rigid. So there could be problems with cracking.

All I used was my electric drill and standard drill bits. Must have been lucky.

perhaps one could use something like a hot nail and melt the utube for make the hole. And that way the tube would be whole. :D

cougaraug
05/29/2004, 02:55 AM
I used the airline method. Worked great. Then my wife saw me suck some saltwater in and spit it out. She told me to buck up and swallow next time...

Dz99ls
05/29/2004, 07:59 AM
we have turned to using a wet dry vac on the small flexi hose to get the water flowin! no salty breath!!!!! :)