PDA

View Full Version : Looking for mandarin

user48953
05/24/2004, 01:06 AM
Has anyone seem the price of gas lately???!.. :eek1:

With that said and before i start driving around town, i'd figure i'll ask hear.. has anyone seen any mandarins around town? perferably the green mandarin (non-spotted), but i will also consider the spotted if there's no green..

TIA

thereefgeek
05/24/2004, 08:42 AM
Mandarins need a LOT of LIVE food, and are considered an "advanced fish" due to their eating habbits. If your tank is less than a year or so old, please resist the urge. Those little guys slowly cruise the tank all day long looking for copepods, worms and mysis shrimp. A well aged live rock and sand bed setup is a must in order to properly keep these fish fed. Other, faster grazers will also out compete the mandarin in a short period of time, so a peaceful fish community also helps. There are on-line companys that sell 'pod kits and live mysis shrimp, so I'd make sure you have a good supply of food reproducing in your tank before you get one. Some people recommend a 100 gal as a minimum size tank for these fish, so I think your o.k. there. As the fish cruises over time, it's possible to get them to take frozen mysis and brine shrimp, but not always. If you're determined to have one, try www.aquaculturestore.com first and get the food supply started in your tank. They are cute fish, that's for sure!

thereefgeek
05/24/2004, 09:40 AM
Also, a refugium is highly recommended. With a seperate area for foodstuff to grow and reproduce, fish with specific eating habits are easier to keep. Dr. Bao Le of Aquatic Galleries in Milpitas will be our guest speaker on 6/18/04, and his topic will be on setting up and maintaining refugiums. Also, CPR has donated one of the H.O.B. Aqua-Fuges for the raffle table next month.:D Mark your calendars!!

changhsu
05/24/2004, 04:46 PM
I was at Exotic today (Mon) and didn't see any, although they usually do carry them, sometimes really large ones.

Pet Connection usually carries both kinds, but I haven't been there lately.

I'll keep an eye out for them and let you know.

I'm planning to add a refugium too so that I could get a Mandarin. I just went to TAP Plastics (next to Exotic) to get a quote for a 2ft by 1/2ft by 1ft fuge.

Material: $35 (cut to size)
Labor: $75
Total: $110

Interestingly, the first thing the guy said was "No, company policy says we do NOT make fish tanks because of liability," then he proceeded to give me a quote and talked abt how to make one and how he made a few for his friends. Duh... :)

-chang

wombat2
05/24/2004, 08:09 PM
FWIW, you can make a fuge with a rubbermaid tub for much cheaper than that, if you're hiding it in the stand.

brettzki
05/27/2004, 01:32 AM
Pet connection currently has both, O Street has the green one's as well.

user48953
05/27/2004, 11:31 AM
thanks guys! :)

jdy22
06/06/2004, 02:50 AM
They're mandarin at Pets & Beyond in Sacramento.