PDA

View Full Version : is my green bta dieing?!??!! HELP!!!

bmwdon
05/21/2004, 06:03 PM
I got a rose and a green bta at the same time, they are at the same height in my tank, getting the same level of lighting, the green is actually a little bigger than the rose, I feed them the same stuff, mysis or plankton and the rose looks great, the green one on the other hand, is looking rather wierd lately, sometimes he's all shrivled up, sometime he's stretching half his body upwards like he wants more light, I put him up higher, and he moves back down the the rock below where I took him from. Now he looks like a penis stretching out from the insides out I guess, there's an area that kind of looks like it's been hit with a cheese shredder beside the weener looking extension.....*** is going on with it? I'ld automatically guess my water is off, but it isn't, I just tested it, everything looks perfect, and the rose bta looks great! That's my hangup, I can't figure this out, need some expert advice, and the tank don't stink like death, so I'm hoping this is just one of those wierd things they do and it'll make it right??? Please tell me it's going to be ok, I don't wanna loose the little guy :(

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/1328anemone2-med.jpg

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/1328anemone1-med.jpg

finding nemo
05/21/2004, 06:28 PM
She is splitting, leave her be and she will do it on her own, do a 10% water change when she is done and you have 2 of them. Congrats. She is looking fine , dont panic. Take a look at the thread I started.http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=375656&goto=newpost
It will show you pics of a split

bmwdon
05/21/2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks!! you da bomb!! :D Should I try and feed her then? Or it'll be ok on it's own for a couple days? I thought it would go in two directions like left and right vs. up and out. I didn't think it would split so soon, only had them for a week now :lol:

finding nemo
05/21/2004, 06:39 PM
Hi bm, thats why its splitting, after a big move, new tank, stressed caused it to split, its completly normal.
As for feeding , it will have NO mouth for a week or more, neither of the splits will as they split from the mouth. Just leave them be and watch them for the next week or two for the mouths to form, then start to feed them smaller food that what they are used to, silversides are best for all anemone. But mysis will do for the smaller clones.
Best of luck with your new babys. karen

bmwdon
05/22/2004, 08:16 PM
Hi finding nemo, you still certain my green bta is splitting?....I swear the insides are exposed and slime is coming off of it and looks like pieces of it are sloughing off....I'm worried :(

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/1328anemone3.jpg

and here's the red just 8-10 inches away from it at the same level

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/1328anemone4-med.jpg

there's no obvious funk to my tank, I read that's a tell-tale sign it's dead and decaying

finding nemo
05/22/2004, 08:35 PM
Please try the pics again, I am getting red x's

catdoc
05/22/2004, 09:01 PM
Ewww...no expert but it looks like my gbta did this morning and it was dead. Tested that theory by smelling it and it was BAD!!! Mine had only been in the tank for 2 days, new addition that was shipped to me. My rbta that's been in the tank for months is looking great though. (If yours is new too, wanna pm me and we'll compare vendors?)

Rurouni Kenshin
05/22/2004, 09:22 PM
i do believe its dead................... sorry :(

finding nemo
05/22/2004, 10:12 PM
Sorry, I cant see the pics

bmwdon
05/23/2004, 05:42 AM
damn, it was dead this morning, had come off the rock and was sitting in a heap on the gravel, I went ahead and picked it up and it smelled real bad, so I went ahead and got rid of it :( I'm upset that it didn't make it, primarily since the red is doing great, if both of them died, I could easily associate it with water parameters not being right, but now, I'm just confused as to what went wrong. I'll try another gbta eventually, but for now, will watch the red like a hawk. Thanks for your info/advice, wish it would of turned out better

sorry fn, don't know why you're getting red x's, is there drive space here at reef central I can upload pics to? I'm linking the photos I've posted so far to my car club space, all four of the photos I've posted are, if you can see the first two on this thread and not the second two....I don't know what to tell you why it's not visible, I see it fine :confused:

finding nemo
05/23/2004, 07:12 AM
Morning bmwdon, so sorry to hear this, and I can see the pics this morning, yes it was going downhill, how close was this green to the red?
Chemical warfare is my first guess as to its death. As I stated in my article I wrote, there is a pretty good chance that the green will loose in the warfare.
I have never experienced it but have sure read about it allot and yours may be another case of it.
I dont keep the two in the same tank, in fact do not own a green bta.
I preffer the red.
If you do get another bta, please go with a rose, this way you wont have to worry about warfare with them,
So sorry to hear of your loss,
Also, if it died in your main tank, a water change is a must today, do at least a 20 percent water change and run carbon and filter floss in your filter for a few days to help get the bad gunk out of the tank.
You may have to do another water change in a few days, check your water pars and keep them in line, if they go bad, do another water change.
It depends on how much of the anemone was left in the tank and how much it disspelled upon its death as to how bad the water will be.
If you notice your other inhabitants closing and not doing well, its the sign of bad water.
So sorry.
Karen

bmwdon
05/23/2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks finding nemo, I guess maybe it was chem warfare, they weren't close enough to physically touch, I figured that was enough. I'm going to check my water now and do a change, thanks again for the advice

finding nemo
05/23/2004, 11:22 AM
Hi bmw, sorry for the loss. Try another rose with the one you have, they will get along splendedly. Karen

catdoc
05/23/2004, 02:55 PM
Karen, I just read your article. I had tried to read it the other day but it wouldn't go through for me for some reason. Wish I'd read it earlier or had otherwise heard that reds and greens don't get along. At least I read it before trying another green. Very disappointed that I can't have a green too as I think they are beautiful too. Any other colors ok with a rose or is the rose going to kill any other anemone I put in there?

Thanks for the info, going to finish reading your article now.

finding nemo
05/23/2004, 03:58 PM
HI Christy, I just finished working on it adding some clownfish animations, it may have been off line for a bit. sorry.No you cant keep different kinds of anemones in the same tank, such as condis and bta's. BUT, I have a flower anemone in with my roses and never had a problem and have been together for 2 years now. So I know they get along, I think that running carbon and allot of water movement in the tank is important for keeping 2 different kinds of anemones however. And the flower I have is right under the water return for the outside filter, so just never know.
How long had you had the green bta and how big is the tank they were or are in? Looks like a 90? If one wanders to find the other and the warfare starts, its the green that will loose, dont know why. But usually that way.
I dont have any greens in with my roses, just the roses.
Hope that I have helped
Karen

catdoc
05/23/2004, 05:00 PM
I have had the rose for about 3 months and it's growing and doing well (never has bubble tips though). I have two GSM hosting in it, just added them a week ago. The green was introduced on Thursday, never looked well and immediately dove into the rocks with just the tips of a few tentacles out. It was very large, no idea how big since it never inflated but it was at least twice as big as the rose (estimate it to be 6-7" inflated). It was less than 48 hours from introduction to tank to finding it upside down in the sand, falling apart and very foul smelling. I was running carbon, changed it out as soon as the gbta died. It is a 90 gallon. The two never contacted each other, the rose is at one end and I placed the green in the middle. The green didn't move far, just down into a crevice where it was nearly hidden. The saddest thing is that the clowns keep going back to the spot where the green was, they are looking for it. I'm looking to get another bta, guess I'll go with another rose. My GSM pair are just too big for the one I have. Although it seems happy, they really pound on it!

dragonsieu
06/02/2004, 12:30 PM
on the contrary I have a GBTA been in there for 1 year,and a RBTA and clone about 2 months few inches from the GBTA,no problems so far.My friend had similiar problem,but other way around,his rose was dying and the GBTA was doing fine.heh go figure.

brc0488
06/02/2004, 03:48 PM
i have a RBTA and a LTA in my tank and they seem to do find. They are pretty far apart though...take a look