PDA

View Full Version : Flow is turbulent in Sump

ksfa10
05/20/2004, 06:10 PM
I have two 1" returns from my main tank that empty into my main sump (Approximately 30"x15"x20"). The pipes run about 2" below the sump water level. The flow is from an Iwaki 55 and my sump is like a foam fractionator!!!! I have even placed a second temporary divider just hoping to slow down the bubbles to keep them from making it back to the pump and into the main tank. What is the best way to calm the return water without using a filter sock? I don't want to filter the return water, I know this would work well but I don't want to filter out the junk from the main tank with a sock, I want it to be able to be used by my refugium as most "experts" say it should be. Thanks.
Kent

gho
05/20/2004, 06:54 PM
the best way is to slow flow thorugh your sump. You sump doesn't need a huge turnover. You can increase circulation in your main take with powerheads.

Just put a ball valve in the return line to adjust flow.

keithjackson
05/20/2004, 07:15 PM
I am also in the process of building a sump and was wondering if you meant to put the ball valve in the line going to the main tank and not the return to the sump?

gho
05/20/2004, 07:22 PM
Yup, in the line returning water from the sump to the main (return line) - this controls how much water goes from the sump to the main tank. If flow to the main tank is reduced, the overflow is also reduced correspondingly.

You can also put a ball valve in the overflow line to control gurgling noises, but it won't control flow rate, but be careful how you adjust it, or you could have a flood.

keithjackson
05/20/2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks, I think I will just stick with the valve in the return line and leave the overflow alone, and avoid any chances for a flood